none
kinect v2 "warm up" time on surface 3 -- how to improve or eliminate? RRS feed

• Question

• We are testing Kinect v2 on the Surface 3 (not Surface Pro 3).

Our experience so far is that the Kinect v2 runs fine on the Surface 3, except for when a person initially enters the FOV: during the initial traversal into the FOV, the Kinect seems to take up to 20 seconds to begin person recognition. After the Kinect "warms up", person recognition works normally (i.e., the same as on the Surface Pro 3).

If we entirely exit the FOV and wait a while -- say, 10 minutes -- them come back into the FOV, we see the same behavior. The Kinect takes up to 20 seconds to "warm up" and after that works fine (as long as someone remains in the FOV).

We have not found anything unusual in the tablet's power or USB settings.

- Has anyone else seen this "warm up" behavior on the Surface 3 (not Surface Pro 3)?

- Does anyone have any recommendations or fixes to improve or eliminate the "warm-up" time for Kinect v2 on Surface 3?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Monday, June 29, 2015 9:10 PM

Answers

• We're seeing the "warm up" behavior too. But not only on surface tablets,  on standard desktop machines too.

I suspect what's happening is the Kinect driver only switches on its internal skeleton processing engine when it detects it's needed, and it's switched off by default to save CPU. I guess switching on the engine for the first time takes some time.

Vicente Penades

• Marked as answer by Earth Atlas Wednesday, July 1, 2015 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2015 8:44 AM

All replies

• Keep in mind that body tracking needs the head and shoulders to be visible for a lock-on.

Brekel

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 11:03 AM
  • Thanks for this. We have worked with both Kinect versions quite a lot, and we understand the environmental requirements for body tracking. We have confirmed (by putting a Surface 3 and Surface Pro 3 side-by-side) that the problem we are seeing here is tablet-based, not environment-based. However, we have not identified the root cause of the problem; it could simply be that the Surface 3 lacks sufficient computational power for some kind of initial warm-up phase (speculative).
    Tuesday, June 30, 2015 6:27 PM
  • We're seeing the "warm up" behavior too. But not only on surface tablets,  on standard desktop machines too.

I suspect what's happening is the Kinect driver only switches on its internal skeleton processing engine when it detects it's needed, and it's switched off by default to save CPU. I guess switching on the engine for the first time takes some time.

Vicente Penades

• Marked as answer by Earth Atlas Wednesday, July 1, 2015 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2015 8:44 AM
  • Thanks! Your explanation matches what we're seeing. Very helpful!
    Wednesday, July 1, 2015 2:47 PM