a little problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have a problem with Robotics Studio installation.
    I used version 2008 ctp, the full one, not web install. But it installs the program under the users directory.
    How I can modify the .msi (that appears in temp when it installs) with orca, so it will instal in program files and i won't get an error cause it need be started by setup.exe?
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 5:06 AM

Answers

• Hey edyb,

The installation path for MSRS 1.5 rtm was...

C:\Microsoft Robotics Studio 1.5\

The installation path for MSRDS 2.0 ctp is...

VISTA:

C:\Users\User_Name\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 2008\

So the answer to your question is that this is the default installation path, and at this stage as no install path appears to available for a "custom setup type" the installation location cannot be changed.

Solution:

Whilst it might be technically possible to update the MSI via orca tool, this would be impractical as the install_path will not necessarily be viewable within the MSI database, and the the setup.exe may no longer accept the MSI once it is modified...

Better bet is to submit a request (via these forums!) in a seperate thread asking for this as a feature of the final version. Make sure you state why this type of installation customisation is important to you. I assume you don't have space on your system drive?

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 7:33 AM

All replies

•  

Hey Edyb,

Can you post the exact error message and/or the screenshot of the error that occurs?

Make sure you login as a member of the local Administrators group on your machine.

Since your using Vista, if your using UAC make sure you right click and choose Run As Administrator when starting the setup.exe.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 5:14 AM
  • There is no error. the problem is that it installs in users directory, NOT in Program Files(the install didn't prompts for install dir).
    There is a solution:
    I've copied the msi file that appears in temp. I can edit it with orca.
    But i don't know how to change default install directory.And also, if i run the msi, it says it must be opened by setup.exe. This thing must be, also resolved. i dont know how i can do things like that in orca, so can anyone help me?
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:57 PM
  • Hey edyb,

The installation path for MSRS 1.5 rtm was...

C:\Microsoft Robotics Studio 1.5\

The installation path for MSRDS 2.0 ctp is...

VISTA:

C:\Users\User_Name\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 2008\

So the answer to your question is that this is the default installation path, and at this stage as no install path appears to available for a "custom setup type" the installation location cannot be changed.

Solution:

Whilst it might be technically possible to update the MSI via orca tool, this would be impractical as the install_path will not necessarily be viewable within the MSI database, and the the setup.exe may no longer accept the MSI once it is modified...

Better bet is to submit a request (via these forums!) in a seperate thread asking for this as a feature of the final version. Make sure you state why this type of installation customisation is important to you. I assume you don't have space on your system drive?

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 7:33 AM