Access databases are sent to an access web app RRS feed

• Question

• Can local desktop access databases be sent to an access web app on SharePoint?

I have several access databases located on my own file system, I want to put them to SharePoint. But I don't want to export them as SharePoint lists. I'm considering the access web app since it can store data in SQL.

Is that something possible? If so, how? If not, what's the possible approach?

Thank you,

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Della,

>> Can local desktop access databases be sent to an access web app on SharePoint?
    Did you mean you want to convert Access client database to Access web app? If so, there is no direct way to achieve your requirement. You will need to build your Access web app from scratch.

>> It looks like I can import the local databases as external source. But I'm not sure will all things can be exported, or just tables.
    Yes, you could import local database as external source. But, keep in mind, you could only import table. Forms are not supported.

>> have several access databases located on my own file system, I want to put them to SharePoint. But I don't want to export them as SharePoint lists. I'm considering the access web app since it can store data in SQL.
    I am not sure what you mean with “put them to sharepoint”. Do you mean store access database file in Sharepoint or use access database in sharepoint? If you mean use database in sharepoint, you could use Access web app. But for forms and function, you will need to build from scratch.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Della Zhao Tuesday, December 8, 2015 9:20 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2015 2:21 AM

All replies

• I checked this post:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-an-Access-app-25F3AB3E-510D-44B0-ACCF-B976C0813E71

It looks like I can import the local databases as external source. But I'm not sure will all things can be exported, or just tables. Need a try.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:42 AM
  • Hi Della,

>> Can local desktop access databases be sent to an access web app on SharePoint?
    Did you mean you want to convert Access client database to Access web app? If so, there is no direct way to achieve your requirement. You will need to build your Access web app from scratch.

>> It looks like I can import the local databases as external source. But I'm not sure will all things can be exported, or just tables.
    Yes, you could import local database as external source. But, keep in mind, you could only import table. Forms are not supported.

>> have several access databases located on my own file system, I want to put them to SharePoint. But I don't want to export them as SharePoint lists. I'm considering the access web app since it can store data in SQL.
    I am not sure what you mean with “put them to sharepoint”. Do you mean store access database file in Sharepoint or use access database in sharepoint? If you mean use database in sharepoint, you could use Access web app. But for forms and function, you will need to build from scratch.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Della Zhao Tuesday, December 8, 2015 9:20 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2015 2:21 AM