In an LS HTMLClient app for SharePoint project, why is there “2 authentication configuration" activities? RRS feed

• Question

• In an LS HTMLClient app for SharePoint project, why is there “2 authentication configuration" activities in Visual Studio?

1. When I Add Data Source, the Data Source wizard asks me for my choice of credentials.  What are these credentials used for?  Are they also used at “runtime” (i.e. when I press F5)?  …are they only used between the LS OData service and , for example, the SharePoint web site (as the data source)? …are these credentials used anywhere else?

1. When I Enable SharePoint, I'm again asked which type of credentials I want to use for ??? …what are these credential settings used for? …launching the HTMLClient only (when I F5)? …access the LS OData Service from the HTMLClient? …by the LS OData service and the SharePoint list?   are these credentials used anywhere else?
    Michael Herman - Toronto

Xpert Search Agents for Microsoft web sites: http://www.parallelspace.net/MicrodeX

Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:05 PM

Answers

• 1) They are used for obtaining the schema of the data source. By default, they are also used at runtime to allow communication between the service tier and the data source. The connection used for the runtime communication can be changed during publish, which will then be stored for future publishing. Changing the connection information during publish will not change the connection information used at design time to obtain schema.

(Second) 1) They are used for accessing the SharePoint site and for publishing to the site. They are used for debugging. Not used for data access; that's what (the first) #1 is used for.

Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team

Friday, September 20, 2013 3:12 AM