SQl Denali Availability Group Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have the following config :

Windows 2008R2 Cluster with 2 nodes

SQL instcnes installed on both nodes as standalones

AVGroup1 is setup with Node 1-Instance 1 as primary and Node 2- Instance 2 as secondary - No problem

What i am trying to do now is :

Setup AVGroup2 ( AV4)  with Node 2 - Instance 3 as primary and Node 1 - Instance 4 as secondary. ( a bit like an active / active scenario )

I am getting the following error when it tries to join the secondary database to the av group. Please see attachment.

Both instances are HADR enabled,etc.

Any help as to why i am getting the error is much appreciated.

regards

venk

Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:00 AM

All replies

• Hi venk,

The error message indicates that the primary repica is not active. The primary repica should be active and online to move data from corresponding primary database to the secondary database while the secondary database joins to the availability group. To troubleshoot an inactive primary relica, please have a look at: Troubleshooting "HADR" Deployment (SQL Server).

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:38 AM
  • i checked everything as per the article, all seems OK.

Still the error.

I do not understand why it thinks that the primary replica is not active.

Remember as i mentioned, the Node that the primary replica is running on also acts as a secondary replica node for another availability group.

is this causing any problem ?

Thursday, October 27, 2011 3:47 AM
  • Hi

What build of denali you are running. Can you also look in to SQL error logs and paste any errors (if any) here.

thanks

Shab

Friday, October 28, 2011 4:13 PM
  • i am using CTP 3

I have pasted all the error messages in the post.

One other message that appears in the sql error log is

Date  31/10/2011 11:27:09 AM
    Log  SQL Server (Current - 31/10/2011 11:27:00 AM)

Source  spid66

The Service Broker endpoint is in disabled or stopped state.

Monday, October 31, 2011 12:50 AM
  • What about your firewalls? Are they on? If so, have you opened the ports for the endpoints?
    Allan Hirt Blog: http://www.sqlha.com/blog Author: Pro SQL Server 2008 Failover Clustering (out now!)
    Monday, October 31, 2011 2:20 AM
  • No firewalls involved. Both are internal servers.
    Monday, October 31, 2011 3:04 AM
  • Hi Venk

I am unable to reproduce the issue. Although you mentioned servers are internal but wether Windows Server Firewall have Ports opened for endoints?

Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:02 PM
  • Hi,

How did you create you node (i.e., the m/c participating in the cluster and the Domain Controller).

If the m/c are vmware images or hyperv, and were created using a template copy. Then the SID of these m/c could be similar.

I've given some information on my blog to check if it's an SID issue.

http://sajive.blogspot.com/2011/12/join-database-fails-msg-35250-level-16.html

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 4:46 AM