Entity Framework: Updating collection from another window RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WPF application written in VB using Entity Framework. The problem is that I have a main Window that contains a ListCollectionView that displays all customer records into a listbox. I also have a Create New button which opens up another window where the user can enter information for that new customer and Save.

How is it that I can create a new record in that new window and upon close, update the listbox in the Main Window? If it was a one window application I would have no problem. I could update, edit, delete, and save, but when it comes to opening a new window and performing those operations I am stuck. Any suggestions?

• Moved by Alan_chen Thursday, April 21, 2011 5:44 AM WPF (From:ADO.NET Entity Framework and LINQ to Entities)
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:39 AM

Answers

• Hi MarkSA,

Generally, you just need to pass a new instance of the item to the new window and load it with a proper data template.  Upon window closes, you can add that new item into the source of the ListCollectionView.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any question/encounter any issue about this.

Best regards,

Min Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by MarkSA Monday, April 25, 2011 6:26 AM
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What I can see of your problem, it isn't exactly a Entity Framework problem, but a WPF problem you have here? Or do you get a specific EF error when trying this?

--Rune
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Hi MarkSA,

Generally, you just need to pass a new instance of the item to the new window and load it with a proper data template.  Upon window closes, you can add that new item into the source of the ListCollectionView.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any question/encounter any issue about this.

Best regards,

Min Zhu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by MarkSA Monday, April 25, 2011 6:26 AM
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:26 AM
  • Hi MarkSA,

We have not heard from you in a couple of days.

Please post back at your convenience if we can assist further.

Enjoy your day!

Min Zhu [MSFT]

Monday, April 25, 2011 1:51 AM