'TestWindowPackage' package did not load correctly RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys I've been having this issue with visual studio 2013 update 5 where in any solution, or no solution, anytime i try to open test explorer i get this message:

"The 'TestWindowPackage' package did not load correctly."

Going into the activity log i get this message:

ERROR TestWindowPackage.Initialize failed with exception: System.InvalidOperationException: Loading MEF components failed with the following exception: The composition produced a single composition error. The root cause is provided below. Review the CompositionException.Errors property for more detailed information. 1) The export 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer (ContractName="Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer")' is not assignable to type 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer'. Resulting in: Cannot set import 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.TestWindowPackage.PackageContainer (ContractName="Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer")' on part 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.TestWindowPackage'. Element: Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.TestWindowPackage.PackageContainer (ContractName="Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer") --> Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.TestWindowPackage Additional diagnostics here: MEF Import details for Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.TestWindowPackage ContractName Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer RequiredTypeIdentity Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer Satisfied by : Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer (ContractName="Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer") ---> System.ComponentModel.Composition.CompositionException: The composition produced a single composition error. The root cause is provided below. Review the CompositionException.Errors property for more detailed information. 1) The export 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer (ContractName="Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer")' is not assignable to type 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer'. Resulting in: Cannot set import 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.TestWindowPackage.PackageContainer (ContractName="Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer")' on part 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.TestWindowPackage'. Element: Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.TestWindowPackage.PackageContainer (ContractName="Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer") --> Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.TestWindowPackage at System.ComponentModel.Composition.CompositionResult.ThrowOnErrors(AtomicComposition atomicComposition) at System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting.ImportEngine.SatisfyImportsOnce(ComposablePart part) at System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting.CompositionContainer.SatisfyImportsOnce(ComposablePart part) at System.ComponentModel.Composition.AttributedModelServices.SatisfyImportsOnce(ICompositionService compositionService, Object attributedPart) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ComponentModelHost.ComponentModelHostExtensions.SatisfyImports[T](T serviceProvider) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ComponentModelHost.ComponentModelHostExtensions.SatisfyImports[T](T serviceProvider) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.TestWindowPackage.InitializeContainer() at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.TestWindowPackage.Initialize() PackageContainer loaded: False Certificates do not match: Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow: [Subject] CN=Microsoft Corporation, OU=MOPR, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US [Issuer] CN=Microsoft Code Signing PCA, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US [Serial Number] 33000000B011AF0A8BD03B9FDD0001000000B0 [Not Before] 1/24/2013 4:33:39 PM [Not After] 4/24/2014 5:33:39 PM [Thumbprint] 108E2BA23632620C427C570B6D9DB51AC31387FE Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensibilityHosting: [Subject] CN=Microsoft Corporation, OU=MOPR, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US [Issuer] CN=Microsoft Code Signing PCA, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US [Serial Number] 330000010A2C79AED7797BA6AC00010000010A [Not Before] 6/4/2015 12:42:45 PM [Not After] 9/4/2016 12:42:45 PM [Thumbprint] 3BDA323E552DB1FDE5F4FBEE75D6D5B2B187EEDC    TestWindowPackage 2015/07/23 14:02:10.761 
    904 ERROR SetSite failed for package [TestWindowPackage] {BFC24BF4-B994-4757-BCDC-1D5D2768BF29} 80131509 VisualStudio 2015/07/23 14:02:10.761 
    905 ERROR End package load [TestWindowPackage] {BFC24BF4-B994-4757-BCDC-1D5D2768BF29} 80131509 VisualStudio 2015/07/23 14:02:10.762 

Steps I've tried:

-Restarted Visual Studio

-Restarted PC

-Delete all files in AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\ComponentModelCache

-Run VS with devenv /setup

-Run VS With devenv /setup /ResetSkipPkgs

-Repaired the VS installation

-Uninstall VS2013, Delete all visual studio files in app data, re install VS 2013 update 5

I'm probably missing other troubleshooting steps I've done but I'm not sure what else to attempt at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thursday, July 23, 2015 9:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Jacob,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

To check if this issue is related to this VS2015 Update 5 package, so I suggest you could try to un-install this Update 5 for this VS2013 by going to Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features to click this View Installed Updates link to open it.

And then find this Update 5 to un-install it and then open test explorer in this VS2013 to check if you still get same issue.

(1) If you did not get same issue after you un-install this Update 5, I think that this issue is related to this VS2013 with Update5.

So I suggest you could try to download and re-install VS2013 with Update 5 again check this issue again.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/vs2013-update5-vs.aspx

(2) If you did get same issue after you un-install this Update 5, please try to run VS in safe mode and then check if you get same issue.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241278%28v=vs.120%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Please try the above suggestions to check this issue and then share me latest message about it.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Tina-Shi Thursday, July 30, 2015 9:53 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Tina-Shi Thursday, July 30, 2015 9:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tina-Shi Monday, August 3, 2015 11:42 AM
    Saturday, July 25, 2015 5:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Jacob,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

To check if this issue is related to this VS2015 Update 5 package, so I suggest you could try to un-install this Update 5 for this VS2013 by going to Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features to click this View Installed Updates link to open it.

And then find this Update 5 to un-install it and then open test explorer in this VS2013 to check if you still get same issue.

(1) If you did not get same issue after you un-install this Update 5, I think that this issue is related to this VS2013 with Update5.

So I suggest you could try to download and re-install VS2013 with Update 5 again check this issue again.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/vs2013-update5-vs.aspx

(2) If you did get same issue after you un-install this Update 5, please try to run VS in safe mode and then check if you get same issue.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241278%28v=vs.120%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Please try the above suggestions to check this issue and then share me latest message about it.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Tina-Shi Thursday, July 30, 2015 9:53 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Tina-Shi Thursday, July 30, 2015 9:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tina-Shi Monday, August 3, 2015 11:42 AM
    Saturday, July 25, 2015 5:59 AM
  • I am having the same issue, and I have tried the same resolution steps.  My error from the activity log is: 

<entry>
        <record>995</record>
        <time>2016/08/09 02:01:51.218</time>
        <type>Error</type>
        <source>VisualStudio</source>
        <description>End package load [TestWindowPackage]</description>
        <guid>{BFC24BF4-B994-4757-BCDC-1D5D2768BF29}</guid>
        <hr>80131509</hr>
        <errorinfo>Loading MEF components failed with the following exception: 
    The composition produced a single composition error. The root cause is provided below. Review the CompositionException.Errors property for more detailed information.

1) The specified argument cannot be empty.
    Parameter name: commandContainers

Resulting in: An exception occurred while trying to create an instance of type 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer'.

Resulting in: Cannot activate part 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer'.
    Element: Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer -->  Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer

Resulting in: Cannot get export 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer (ContractName="Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer")' from part 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer'.
    Element: Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer (ContractName="Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer") -->  Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer

Resulting in: Cannot set import 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.TestWindowPackage.PackageContainer (ContractName="Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer")' on part 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.TestWindowPackage'.
    Element: Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.TestWindowPackage.PackageContainer (ContractName="Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer") -->  Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.TestWindowPackage

Additional diagnostics here: 
    MEF Import details for Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.TestWindowPackage

ContractName Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer
    RequiredTypeIdentity Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer
    Satisfied by :
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer (ContractName="Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.VsHost.PackageContainer")
    </errorinfo>
      </entry>

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 12:23 PM
  • Here's a way to reproduce:

I've started receiving this error when I had Visual Studio 2013 Up5 installed, but then installed Concurrency Visualizer for VS2013 VSIX from 2014.  Initially, Visual Studio opened OK and allowed me to try and launch app under Concurrency Visualizer.  CV prompted me to click yes and reboot. After I rebooted as prompted, VS would no longer open correctly, showing this error.

GregC

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 4:13 PM