Email and Discussion board RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

In our project we are architecting, there is a particular scenario

Scenario: There are a number of discussion boards in our application where I need to route the emails to depending up on who the sender or recipient of our mail is. (or certain business rules needs to be checked before we forward them to the right discussion list)

fyi - We wont be using exchange transport rules and will have to depend on creating some custom code either in Sharepoint or in between sharepoint and Exchange which can then route to the appropriate discussion board.

solution1: One way is we route all the mails on to a common discussion board and then run custom code (timer job or event receiver) to run through each discussion and then copy the list item on to the relevant discussion board as appropriate.

Cons: I am not very sure if we can copy the entire discussion list item as the discussion board looks like a combination of Message and Discussion. will be loose the Emailfrom/Email to etc?

solution2: we create a service (.NET)which will be running in between exchange and our sharepoint server and let the service route the email depending upon the rules to the right discussion board.

Cons: Needs to be handled outside the sharepoint system and will be more development effort.

Please can any body suggest whats the best approach or I am open to any new approach what deems fit for this purpose?

Many Thanks,

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:10 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Why not configure email address for each discussion board and inform users the right discussion list the mails should be sent to.

Event receiver should be able to move discussion and its replies to another discussion list, so I prefer Solution1 because it take less development work as compare to what it require for Solution2. I haven't tested it out though. I am also open to know any Pros and Cons of Solution1.

Thanks & Regards.

Lily Wu || Microsoft Online Community Support Engineer || SharePoint
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, March 4, 2011 3:43 AM
    Monday, February 28, 2011 2:50 PM