Stack trace not clickable in Test Explorer (VS 2012 Update 3) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using Visual Studio 2012 Update 3.

The new Test Explorer window is showing Stack Trace, and it is clickable when Assert fails:

However, when another exception occurs in the tested code, the Stack Trace is not clickable, although it does show file names and line numbers:

The question is: what should I do to make the Stack trace clickable when exceptions appear? Does it have anything to do with the fact that I'm using English version of the Studio on a German version of Windows?

A solution would be highly appreciated.

Monday, July 29, 2013 12:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• Do you have a small project we can reproduce the problem with

Thanks,
    Oleg

Monday, July 29, 2013 4:27 PM
  • I am able to reproduce the situation when there's a NullReferenceException in intializing a static field.

You can download the project here.

Monday, July 29, 2013 6:13 PM
  • Hi Oleg,

Could you download the project?

Can you reproduce the problem in your environment?

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:21 AM
  • Hello,

On my side, there are some parts which are clickable and some parts which are not clickable in Stack Trace. Please see my image.

The UIMap.RecordedMethod2() and CodedUITest1.CodedUITestMethod1() are clickable. When you click them, you can enter the corresponding code of coded UI test. I am using English version of VS on an English version of Windows.

Moreover I don’t find any methods to make some parts of the Stack Trace (which are not clickable) clickable. I think that it is by design and not related to the language of Visual Studio and Windows.

If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:22 AM
  • Hi Amanda,

The screenshot that you attached does not belong to the test project that I supplied with my earlier post. With this project, I get unclickable stack trace:

Once again, you can download my project here.

Please try it and let me know if you also get unclickable stack trace.
    Thank you.

Kind regards,
    Andrey Anishchenko

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:35 PM
  • Hello,

The following image shows the test run result in Test Explorer.

Also I can get some stack traces which are not clickable. I think that my result in my picture of my previous reply also shows the stack trace which are not clickable.

As I mentioned above, I think that it is by design.The stack trace which is not clickable shows how the exception was thrown. And the stack trace which is clickable shows where the exception was thrown.

I don’t find any methods to make some parts of the Stack Trace (which are not clickable) clickable. I really don’t think that we can do it.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Edited by Amanda Zhu Sunday, August 4, 2013 1:29 AM edit
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 11:14 AM
  • Hi Amanda,

Thank you for your reply.

Two things are not clear to me:

1. Why do we get different stack traces on the same project? (yours is partially clickable when my is completely unclickable)

2. What can I do to get the same stack trace as you do.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 11:19 AM
  • Hello,

I am not sure how you run test on you side. Based on the solution provided by your, I just clean the solution and rebuild it and then run the test method from Test Explorer in Visual Studio Ultimate Update 3.

If you have other machines with Visual Studio 2012 or Visual Studio 2012 Update 3, I suggest that you try the same solution on another machine to check the result.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu

Friday, August 2, 2013 2:16 AM
  • Hi Amanda,

I tried this on other VMs and I found, that on the English Windows the Stack Trace is clickable, while on the German Windows with English Visual Studio the Stack Trace is unclickable. I could reproduce this on another VM with German Windows. So it looks like the problem is somewhere where Test Explorer recognizes file names and line numbers from the text of the stack trace provided by an Exception, since the text is a bit different in German. Am I right?

Friday, August 2, 2013 7:37 AM
  • Hello,

Based on my description, it seems this issue is related to the language version of Windows.

To get the issue confirmed and diagnose by product team, would you please create connect report for it? You will get email notification for update.http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx, if you submit it, you could share us the link here, so we could know the latest information from the Product team expert. And I will help you to vote it.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu

Sunday, August 4, 2013 1:30 AM
  • Hi Amanda,

Thank you for your help. I have submitted a feedback item, we'll see how it goes. The item can be accessed here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/796271/call-stack-is-not-clickable-in-test-explorer

Please let me know if I have forgotten to supply anything

Kind regards,
    Andrey

• Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:25 AM
    Monday, August 5, 2013 6:33 AM
  • Hello,

Voted it.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu

Monday, August 5, 2013 6:38 AM
  • Hi Andrey,

I investigated the issue you described and found that the problem is with having the German version of the .NET framework 4.5.

We are looking into a fix, but if you would like to have your stack trace links working right away you can workaround the issue by installing the English .NET framework and they should start working again.

Thanks,

Lou

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 6:06 PM
  • Hi Lou,

Thank you for the workaround. Please update me when a fix is available.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Kind regards,
    Andrey

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 6:23 AM
  • Hi Andrey,

We have fixed the issue and it will be available in the next release of Visual Studio.

Thank you for your feedback!

Lou

• Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Friday, August 9, 2013 1:47 AM
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 5:31 PM
  • Hi Lou,

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,

Andrey

Friday, August 9, 2013 6:38 AM