none
How to switch to French loclization? RRS feed

• Question

• Excellent program, I've looked long time for something simple like this to teach my sons programming.

The question: how do I switch from English to French interface and help in v 0.4? And, is there a "Introduction..." file in French available?

Thank you.
    Mac Ha
    Friday, April 24, 2009 5:18 AM

Answers

• It seems that the prog is in French if your Windows is in French.
    Fremy - Developer in VB.NET, C# and JScript ... - Feel free to try my extension
    Friday, April 24, 2009 11:28 AM

All replies

• It seems that the prog is in French if your Windows is in French.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 11:28 AM
  • Thank you for the reply, bit is there the way to force Small Basic to display French in an English-language Windows? We have Vista in English, but since my son is going to a French Lycee, I'd think learning Small Basic in French for him would be easier... At least if the help for commands and the Introduction PDF file are in French...

Thank you
    Mac Ha
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 2:37 PM
  • I'm unsure it will works, but you can try the following :

For the doc :
    * Rename SmallBasicLibrary.fr.xml to SmallBasicLibrary.xml // I know this will work

For the ui :
    * Strings.fr.resx to Strings.en.resx // I doubt it will work, but you can try

Saturday, April 25, 2009 5:05 PM
  • When I started Small Basic after renaming files as your advise, the system runs through the setup process again, and restores all the files. However, interestingly, the display interface changed to French, while all help tips remains in English!! Any idea to fix this further?

Thank you
    Mac Ha
    Monday, April 27, 2009 5:12 AM
  • I've found a solution, thanks to Fremy's hints!

As I understood, the logic is that when started Small Basic checks the locale of Windows OS - if its English, then the softwafre loads Strings.resx or Strings.en.resx (if present) for the display interface, and SmallBasicLibrary.XML or SmallBasicLibrary.en.XML for the help tips. However if the OS is French, the software would load Strings.fr.resx and SmallBasicLibrary.fr.XML.

So to use French in the English-OS, we need to trick Small Basic to load the French version of resource files, by renaming them... following names for English versions! So I've renamed the French files into Strings.en.resx and SmallBasicLibrary.XML, SmallBasicLibrary.en.XML, while renaming the English version into ....fr... - as the backup. And voila, now Small Basic shows both interface and help tips in French.

Just as a request to MS developers for the next version - maybe an option to switch languages would be very much welcomed!! Even if it's just a line in an ini file - the names of Strings and SmallBasicLibrary to load regardless of the language of OS...

Thank you
    Mac Ha
    • Edited by NMHa Monday, April 27, 2009 6:18 AM
    Monday, April 27, 2009 6:14 AM
  • Happy to see that renaming the files finaly worked.
    Anyway, I agree with you, we should be able to choose our lang ourself (think at somone that can speak Polish and French, but have her Windows in Polish, he'll not be able to have the UI in French).
    Monday, April 27, 2009 10:37 AM