none
Using an Ampersand in text RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a hard time getting the "&" to print correctly in Access 2010 reports. For instance, the often used term "M & A" doesn't always come out correctly. Sometimes, it seems that you need to surround certain items in "" or ' ', and other times it doesn't seem to work.

Dean J. Waring

Thursday, July 14, 2016 3:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• It all depends on context. For example the Label control supports underlining one character to indicate it's an accelerator and user can use Alt+[letter] to jump to the associated control. The underline is indicated with an ampersand. If you really want the ampersand character, you need to double up on them.

So if you have a specific context where it does not work like you think it should, describe that context in detail, and we may be able to assist.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Thursday, July 14, 2016 3:59 PM
  • The context is a memo field. Operators enter paragraphs full of text. Oftentimes, this text includes words like M & A. They just tried entering M && A, but this did not work. I have had them try "&" and ""&"" with no success. I will have to look at long text boxes too. I'm not sure if we encounter the same issue.

Dean J. Waring

Thursday, July 14, 2016 5:07 PM
  • Hi Dean. Any data you store in a table field should show up on a report inside a control you bound to the same field. I just gave it a try and attached are what I got.

Here's the table:

Here's the report:

Thursday, July 14, 2016 5:59 PM
  • Hi DeanJW2006,

can you show us how you try to input "M & A" in table and how your output looks on Reports by snapshots.

when I try to add it in a table and then create a report then it looks as it is like "M & A". there is no change in that.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, July 15, 2016 3:05 AM