Need clarification RRS feed

• Question

• User-2071549094 posted

A few years ago, I was posted to a local company in my country.

I have never worked in an IT industry.  Just studied a graduate diploma course.

However, I never get to finish it because I was booted out by a supervisor who insisted I don't even know how to do a simple insert statement(I would not dwell into this in details as it differ my objective's today)

Today, I hope to get to the bottom of the truth in terms of if this is the way how the industry do things in terms of 'architecture' design.

The project that was given to me is a 'work-flow' application whereby I need to re-modify another app but make it run one of the app from their old system which is in Lotus-Notes.

The thing is I am not getting any help because the Lotus Notes engineer doesn't know how to do it in ASP.net either and so I mostly relied on this forum to do the project, painstakingly.

There are a few things I want to get to the bottom of the truth:

Is it the right thing to use just Primary key in the database without any Foreign key in the database schema?

Because that is how the company designed it and this contradicted what I have learnt in the programme whereby we were taught relational database design.

So, the sample app basically has a POJO which differs from the normal POJO I have seen.  And it doesn't really have methods contains in the app because everything is driven much from the Procedural statement.

Very briefly, this project is about a screen which will display the user information when log in and if it is an exisiting user, then the app will churned out whatever details in the database and appeared in the field boxes.

The next form - will allow the user to select from a drop down list what he wants to do and other stuff etc

So, then it will lead to another form in the same page, and this form basically allow a manager to sign the form if he/she approves the activity from the drop down list.

The manager can also assign it to another manager if he wants to etc.

It seems everything is done via the Stored procedure and then for the approval parts, there is a table which contains the flow and it will trigger off certain activites.

My question is that is this the right way to write an object-oriented programming web app?

I'd appreciate truthful sharings because even though I have my doubts I still tried my best to do the project as I can but I just felt that the whole app is 'powered' by the database and the POJO and the calling of all the store procedures in the app class is like the skeleton(I don't know how to use the right word to describe it).

Monday, June 15, 2020 8:24 AM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

Is it the right thing to use just Primary key in the database without any Foreign key in the database schema?

Every table should have a primary key.  A foreign key constraint is what makes a relational database relational but not every primary key has a foreign key.

It seems everything is done via the Stored procedure and then for the approval parts, there is a table which contains the flow and it will trigger off certain activites.

My question is that is this the right way to write an object-oriented programming web app?

I'd appreciate truthful sharings because even though I have my doubts I still tried my best to do the project as I can but I just felt that the whole app is 'powered' by the database and the POJO and the calling of all the store procedures in the app class is like the skeleton(I don't know how to use the right word to describe it).

You are confusing web application design with database design.  A database often has many different access points where a web application is just one type of access point.  It is very common for a database to centralize business logic. 

Monday, June 15, 2020 10:56 AM
  • User-2071549094 posted
    But, the entire database scheme don’t have any foreign key at all.

I never worked in a IT industry before so I really need an honest opinion cos the school decided to stand by that company and then failed me for the entire course which I spent 1.5years with my own money and time.

N based on what I have described, is this the way or the most correct way to design a system?
    Monday, June 15, 2020 11:35 AM
  • User475983607 posted

tangara

But, the entire database scheme don’t have any foreign key at all.

I never worked in a IT industry before so I really need an honest opinion cos the school decided to stand by that company and then failed me for the entire course which I spent 1.5years with my own money and time.

N based on what I have described, is this the way or the most correct way to design a system?

You are fishing for an opinion that matches yours.   

The community cannot comment on why the design does not have foreign keys.  There could be very good reasons.  We only have your point of view.

IMHO, losing a job simply because you disagree with a design is an over reaction.  Discussing designs is a daily occurrence in IT and you should not get upset if your design is not selected.

Monday, June 15, 2020 12:10 PM
  • User-2071549094 posted

I am not fishing an opinion that matches mine.

I want to have the truth.  That's all.

After what I have suffered - I didn't lose the job. 

I was there as an intern.  And I don't know ASP.net at all.  Really.  Otherwise, I wouldn't be asking more than 200 questions.  I am glad I don't have to touch ASP.net anymore because I had told the school I don't know about this programming language at all.  After what happened, I won't touch on it anymore.  Period.

If you have really read my message, I said the school decided to fail me for the entire course and not giving my certificate.

And I don't design the thing.  I am asking if the company's design is a industry practice. 

Monday, June 15, 2020 3:23 PM
  • User-474980206 posted

without seeing the full design we can not critique it. only using stored proc's is a common practice. but database design is not related directly to asp.net which is used to produce web pages.

Monday, June 15, 2020 3:31 PM
  • User-2071549094 posted

I think I am not getting any helpful replies here as compared to other forums I have visited.  I am glad I am done with ASP.net.

Anyway, time will tell and I will pray to God for help on this matter.

Monday, June 15, 2020 3:38 PM