Is suspension mandatory

Question

• My question is, is Suspension mandatory, and will it continue to be so?  Seeing as there are many tasks that would benefit from running in the background, such as transcoding, which can take several hours.  Users are confused when they switch to another task, only to find that their work has not completed when they come back.

It appears to be possible for store apps to multitask.  The Windows music app is a good example.  It continues to play music in the background while you work on other things, however, it "crashes" when you switch back to it, and you loose your place in your current song.

Anyway, this is something I haven't been able to find information on.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 7:35 PM

Answers

• If your app relies on high power background processing then it is best off as a desktop (or cloud) app rather than as a Windows Store app.

--Rob

Monday, June 9, 2014 5:02 PM
    Owner

All replies

• See Supporting your app with background tasks (XAML)

You can do some lightweight tasks in the background but you have limited resources to work with. Heavyweight applications such as transposing need to be done in the foreground or as a desktop app.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 7:43 PM
    Owner
  • So, I guess the question is then...

How dose one present this information to the user, who has probably had access to high power, multitasking computers for their entire life, without Windows bashing, and without the coder taking the brunt of the blame for the limitation, as I see so often on the Windows Store...  "Forceloads too often..."  "Doesn't work when switched away from..." etc?

Thursday, June 5, 2014 8:38 PM
  • If your app relies on high power background processing then it is best off as a desktop (or cloud) app rather than as a Windows Store app.

--Rob

Monday, June 9, 2014 5:02 PM
    Owner