Pleas suggest technologies to be used for the project RRS feed

• Question

• My background: 4 years of OpenGL development 5 years ago, so I am very familiar with 3D graphics and algorithms. Know nothing about Direct3D.

I haven't followed trends in 3D hardware/software since then. However I am currently under impression that OpenGL support is dwindling on Windows platform (feel free to disagree and provide more information on that)

I am thinking of developing slideshow software using 3D hardware acceleration for transition effects. To clarify: it seems that all existing slideshow products are "off-line" software, that is you specify pictures and transition methods, start "show renderer" and wait. Then some kind of animation file (SWF, MPG, WMV or proprietary format) is produced that you can play back on your PC or burn to DVD. If you want to change anything you need to re-render it.

What I am looking to do is "real-time" slideshow software, where you would specify pictures and transition method, and slideshow is generated on the fly by using OpenGL/DirectX features of your graphics card.

Can anyone recommend what Direct3D/DirectX technologies I need to look into for this? What are available books on this subject?

Sunday, November 19, 2006 8:44 PM

Answers

• (moved to DirectX 101)...
    PowerPoint does this actually. D3D9 is a perfect API for such a thing. The D3DX library should be of good help to you as well... Start by reading the SDK documentation, and once done you can take a look at the additional references section in there to expand your knowledge more on it...

Monday, November 20, 2006 5:22 PM