Azure Storage and File Size Limitations RRS feed

• Question

• I'm reading a lot of postings where people are mentioning the maximum size per block blob storage in a container is 200GB.

We are trying to use Azure Blob Storage as an offsite location for our backup jobs.  Our full backup is a single compressed image file of 1.3TB.  I've already investigated the possibility of breaking up the full backup into smaller files, but that doesn't appear to be an option with our backup software.  Can someone please help me understand if it is possible to backup this single file to Azure, and if so, what type of service would I need to set up for it?

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 4:23 PM

All replies

• Page block and Azure Files have limit of 1TB, while block blob has a limit of 200GB.

Which backup software are you using? Is there an option to take delta backup or scoping backup to a smaller data set and have multiple backup runs?

• Proposed as answer by vikranth s Tuesday, October 4, 2016 1:39 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 11:57 PM
  • We are using Veeam Backup & Replication. The job is set to take daily incremental backups and create synthetic fulls on a regular basis.  The incrementals upload fine, but the synthetic full will not upload.  Right now we have it replicating to another storage device onsite and are considering setting up offsite replication to our data center, however I'd prefer to have it push to Azure.  Are there no other storage options to push files larger than 1TB?  Can I use my existing container to setup Page block storage and see if I can shrink the backup below 1TB?
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 3:48 PM
  • This is something that Azure Backup would be able to handle. The maximum size of a single backup "datasource" is about 53TB - more at https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/azure-backup-enables-backup-of-large-volumes-vms-databases-and-more/

hth
    Marcin

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 4:13 PM