none
Map does not properly load across Devices/Zoom Levels? RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm working on an app that's targeting windows 8.1.    On my laptop, I get pretty consistent results for my app.  Unless I set my zoom level to 10.   in this case, the app works as I expect.  it initialized, pans, zooms, etc.    If I initialize with a level other than

    (using a command such as this

    Map.SetView(viewCenter, 12);)

    the map renders distorted in some areas until I zoom in and out with the +/-.  if I initialize at level 10, the app seems to work okay in most cases.

    on other machines, with the same program, when I load the map, I get a completely washed out map and can never the map to load, despite my zoom level.  when I click +/- the map never recovers.

    I've checked and i'm not over my API limits.  Any ideas?  Are these problems related?

    Monday, June 9, 2014 1:50 AM

Answers

  • Both problems look similar. Ensure your laptop still has an internet connection. I've often found this issue if i became disconnected. What happens is the map tries to fill in the gaps of where it can't download tiles with those that are cached.

    http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

    Monday, June 9, 2014 9:11 AM
  • Those shots look like tiles are not loading. If you use a tool like Fiddler to monitor network requests, do you see requests for tiles being made?
    Monday, June 9, 2014 5:27 PM
    Moderator
  • Fiddler works by acting as a local proxy and directing all network requests through itself so it can log things. I suspect you may have problems with something upstream like your local network proxy server blocking traffic. You can use a tool like netmon to log all native traffic and see what responses you're getting without Fiddler acting as a proxy.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 5:50 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Both problems look similar. Ensure your laptop still has an internet connection. I've often found this issue if i became disconnected. What happens is the map tries to fill in the gaps of where it can't download tiles with those that are cached.

    http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

    Monday, June 9, 2014 9:11 AM
  • Thanks for the response.  I'm pretty sure that the device has connectivity when this happens.  in all cases, I am using WIFI, but nothing leads me to believe that I've lost connectivity.

    in many cases, I've run the app on a remote machine where i'm connected through RDP.  in that case, i'm seeing the same problems.  so i'm sure in that case that it's not a connectivity problem given that I never lose control of the machine.

    There has to be something else.

    Monday, June 9, 2014 12:58 PM
  • Those shots look like tiles are not loading. If you use a tool like Fiddler to monitor network requests, do you see requests for tiles being made?
    Monday, June 9, 2014 5:27 PM
    Moderator
  • I am really perplexed now.  one my first machine, once Installed fiddler and opened it the maps started to work without concern.

    After that, I was confused.  So, I went to a second machine that had the same problem.  this time, I had the app open that wasn't working.  fiddler was freshly installed and it still had the same problems.  then, I loaded fiddler and refreshed the app and it started working.

    at this point, I realized that my laptop already had fiddler installed and this may be part of why I didn't have problems locally.

    Any ideas on what changes to the network that fiddler changed that would help?  Something with fiddler helped to resolve the problem.  So weird.

    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 4:20 AM
  • Fiddler works by acting as a local proxy and directing all network requests through itself so it can log things. I suspect you may have problems with something upstream like your local network proxy server blocking traffic. You can use a tool like netmon to log all native traffic and see what responses you're getting without Fiddler acting as a proxy.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 5:50 PM
    Moderator
  • Having trouble trying to see how these tools work. Will take a bit of time to figure this out. One think I have found is that fiddler solves the problem on every device and network that I try.  so there is some global issue somewhere, that's not tied to a particular network.
    Monday, June 23, 2014 12:50 PM