queries on signin RRS feed

• Question

• hai,

in my application I am having a registration page. First here I need to register in order to use the application. here my question is if the user enters to the application after the registration process successfully, if he exits the application without signing out. so next time when he enters in to the application, it needs to maintain all the user details. what to do to get this?

Thursday, October 24, 2013 12:34 PM

Answers

• Also, consider using the PasswordVault for storing the credentials.  When the user opens the application again you can pull the credentials from the PasswordVault, validate against the authenticating service and then, if valid, navigate them directly to the main page.  This will help you give the automatic login capability I think you're looking for.  If the user "signs out" (perhaps from the settings flyout) then you can remove the credentials from the PasswordVault.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.security.credentials.passwordvault.aspx

-Ed

Ed Snider

• Marked as answer by sarika ala Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:28 AM
    Saturday, October 26, 2013 12:52 AM
  • The Credential Locker (the same thing EdSnider refers to as the Password Vault) allows storing username and password combinations securely. Please see the documentation I linked previously at "Credential Locker".

In order to persist the registration you will need to store something locally. Whether that is the user name and password (store in the Credential Locker) or a cached login token depends on your specific implementation.

--Rob

Monday, October 28, 2013 8:15 PM

All replies

• You can save the information in app settings. Check this when the app starts and either navigate to the logon page or to the real page depending on if it's set or not.

See the App settings section in Accessing app data with the Windows Runtime and the Application settings sample

--Rob

Friday, October 25, 2013 1:27 AM
  • Hello sarika ala,

try to use random number. When registration successfully.  Generate one random number & save to your isolated storage. When user start the application check that random number is available or not. If it is available then goto your main page otherwise goto other page. Put that code in your app.xaml.cs file when application start & goto navigation page. And when user signout clear that random number from isolated storage. If user detail is more than save to any xml file or database (sqlite). otherwise store to isolated stirage.

• Edited by Khant Nipun Friday, October 25, 2013 4:38 AM
    Friday, October 25, 2013 4:38 AM
  • hai Rob,

here in my application I am not using any local or roaming settings. here in my application I am using windows Azure to store my data. so how can I resolve it?

Friday, October 25, 2013 6:29 AM
  • It's not clear to me exactly what your registration does and how this works with your Azure storage. If you can provide more detailed information we may be able to provide better help.

I assume that the Azure storage requires the registration information to connect, so I would cache the registration information locally so the app can start up and use that information to connect to the Azure database. If the registration information isn't available locally or if it doesn't connect successfully then the app can ask the user to log in.

I'd look at using a Web authentication broker on connection to the Azure site. If you need to save username and password information then look at the the Credential Locker.

See Authentication and User Identity

--Rob

Friday, October 25, 2013 11:40 PM
  • Also, consider using the PasswordVault for storing the credentials.  When the user opens the application again you can pull the credentials from the PasswordVault, validate against the authenticating service and then, if valid, navigate them directly to the main page.  This will help you give the automatic login capability I think you're looking for.  If the user "signs out" (perhaps from the settings flyout) then you can remove the credentials from the PasswordVault.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.security.credentials.passwordvault.aspx

-Ed

Ed Snider

Saturday, October 26, 2013 12:52 AM
  • hai rob,

My registration page consists of all the user details, where user enters the username,password and uses my application. I am storing all this credentials to a userdetails table in Azure storage. here my question is if user enters his credentials and enters in to my application then, if he closes the application all at a time suddenly with out signingout.Then whenever he open my application for the next time he need to see his session remaining there. Here you have suggested me about credential locker what does it actually does here? 

Monday, October 28, 2013 11:08 AM
  • The Credential Locker (the same thing EdSnider refers to as the Password Vault) allows storing username and password combinations securely. Please see the documentation I linked previously at "Credential Locker".

In order to persist the registration you will need to store something locally. Whether that is the user name and password (store in the Credential Locker) or a cached login token depends on your specific implementation.

--Rob

Monday, October 28, 2013 8:15 PM