none
location api and acer pdc09 netbook RRS feed

• Question

• hey i received one of those acer netbooks at pdc.  if i wanted to work with the location api, can i do this out of the box with this netbook ( it doesnt come with GPS ).
    sorry for being a newb but ... can the api work with wifi triangulation and ip resolver?
    the netbook doesnt come with expansion card slot
    so would it be a good idea to get a usb ( or whatever other connnection one? )

basically i dont want to spend money if i dont have to.
    i suppose i could work with the api without a gps add on to my netbook

but would that be accurate?
    does the api use all sources as input?
    thanks
    Friday, November 20, 2009 3:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you are interested in building and testing applications using the location API, you don't need to buy anything. You can use the Enhanced DLP tool available at http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/SensorsAndLocation to simulate location input.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
    Prasanna
    Friday, November 20, 2009 7:06 PM
    Answerer
  • nice thanks.

but what do i need to do to make it accurate?
    Friday, November 20, 2009 8:07 PM
  • Sorry, I am not sure I understood your question. Could you please give more details?

Thanks,
    Prasanna
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 9:36 PM
    Answerer
  • you said i dont need GPS device to work with sensor and location api because there is simulation ability.

but what if i want real location readings.

do i need GPS device then?
    or are there other things that work with the location subsystem in windows 7?

is it possible to obtain this from sometype of wifi triangulation and ip resolution out of the box?

if so how accurate are these?
    what are they're limitations?

for example if i wanted to detect if a laptop was leaving the building.
    or if i lost my laptop but someone booted it far away

what are the combinations of things (pros and cons) that would work underneath the location api to allow me to create a simple alert based on location.

what are the pros and cons in terms of
    accuracy
    price
    ease of set up
    etc..

thanks
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 5:21 AM
  • It looks to me from device manager that the pdc netbook has a gps reciever. How do we light it up and connect it to the sensors and location API?
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:50 AM
  • Use my GPS driver to do that. See forum root.
    Michael
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 2:51 PM
  • hey matt did you figure out how to turn on the GPS receiver.
    i havent tried got other things on plate just wondering if you could save me some brain cycles.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 8:38 PM
  • so im a total newb right

this is my understanding...

The only reference to GPS on the Acer laptop 1420P from PDC is

HUAWEI mobile connect - 3G GPS Interface (COM6)

So theres no GPS per say on the device... just some software waiting on a COM port for GPS type signals.
    I would have to buy a GPS device either blootooth or USB
    and during its install program point it at COM6

then i can configure windows location systenm to look for location based signals from COM6

when thats done ill be ready write a hello world that reacts to changes in my geographic location with the location API
    and i would install this code somwhere in the operating system like an add in or something
    or GAC it and tell the windows location subsystem through some configuration tool where my assembly is to run when a GPS connection is live

???

is this correct?

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 11:08 PM
  • Although I haven't personally seen the PDC laptop, I got some information about the laptop that indicates that there is no GPS device on it. This information is second-hand however and I will update the thread if I receive confirmation.

For a GPS device that supports the Windows 7 Location Platform, you can take a look at http://www.u-blox.com/en/usb-drivers/windows-7-driver.html. The device is available with the latest edition of Microsoft Streets and Trips.

Thanks,
    Prasanna
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:59 AM
    Answerer