Cannot connect to Sybase SQL Anywhere Database RRS feed

• Question

• I am using SSMA for Sybase v5.0.9198 and am unable to connect to a Sybase ASA v10 or 12 database in SSMA and would appreciate any assistance.

When I connect in Standard Mode, I get an "Unable to connect to database server. Database server not found" error, even though I have verified the server is running and I can connect to it via Sybase Central and via the ODBC Data Source Administrator (using the SQL Anywhere SAOLEDB provider).

And when I use Advanced Mode, I always get an "Error collecting data. See the inner exception for details" error after having tried multiple varieties of a connection strings. Examples below:

Provider=SAOLEDB.10;ENG=DBServer;DBN=DBName;UID=user;PWD=password

Provider=SAOLEDB.10;ENG= DBServer;DBN= DBName;UID=user;PWD=password;dbf=\\server\e$\FilePath\database.db

Provider=SAOLEDB.10;UID=cvs;PWD= password;DBF=C:\FilePath\database.db

Provider=SAOLEDB.10;UID=cvs;PWD= password;DSN=ODBC_Name

I have Developer versions of Sybase SQL Anywhere v10 and 12 installed at the source.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi ,

If you want SQL Server Management Studio to manage or access your Sybase database. You could create linked server by following this online instruction or use Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant (SSMA) to migrate Sybase ASA to SQL Server.
    Below document is contain very descriptive information about migration process
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=C7933D3E-B7B9-43A6-ADE3-F8E37C8CB046&displaylang=en

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:48 AM
  • SSMA for Sybase just support ASE connection for 5.1 or previous.  :)

will support ASA in the later version after 5.1

Monday, August 1, 2011 3:14 AM