Document Library Version Control doesn't work properly RRS feed

• Question

• WSS only not MOSS

I'm really new to SharePoint (don't you just love it when a post starts with that?), and I am having a challenge with versioning and document rejection by an approver. What happens is after publishing a document (can be a word or excel file) by approver, meaning it's at version 1.0 (minor and major versioning set in doc lib) and someone with edit capability changes the file the changes are visible to someone with read only before approval or after rejection. Also the status is not correct either, the reader sees the status as approved when it fact it is pending or has been rejected and I figure they should see version 1.0, and they do see a version 1.0 but it's the file in process (with changes). The approver sees it as rejected and it's the proper version, the editor (author) sees it as approved but with changes??? 

1.) Am I missing some basic concept? 

What I'm wondering is has anyone ran into this? I've searched the help, faq's, service pack 1 information and cannot find anything on this. We don't even have service pack 1 installed and cannot install it until a project is finished so as not to compromise an ongoing project with challenges that can sometime happen with upgrades, so telling us to install it to see it that fixes is not a solution we can use, but I searched the Service pack 1 anyway to see if it had been addressed or was it just ME..(LOL)

2.) Has there been similar problems I'm not finding in issues? (Could just be me not searching in proper location)

I have read WSS help as it relates to versioning and have all items set properly such as:

Requiring content approval.. - Yes

Who should see draft item... - Only approvers and author. ..etc...

Also, am wondering about workflow. I don't have it enabled, and the only workflow process I can "see" is the three-state workflow, but have not tested that aspect yet as I figured the workflow as it relates to approval/rejection is built into the doc lib using the above settings and it seems to be working properly for the approver, and mostly for the author (edit), but readers can see all changes with a version of 1.0???

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Jack

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 5:55 PM

Answers

• Moving to Admin as this clearly isn't a workflow problem.

As for 2. The only workflow process in WSS 3.0 is the three-state workflow.

MOSS 2007 has that and several more. You can (also with WSS 3.0 not just MOSS) also use SPD to create very good workflows using a wizard (and use Visual Studio for more complicated ones)
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:05 PM

All replies

• Moving to Admin as this clearly isn't a workflow problem.

As for 2. The only workflow process in WSS 3.0 is the three-state workflow.

MOSS 2007 has that and several more. You can (also with WSS 3.0 not just MOSS) also use SPD to create very good workflows using a wizard (and use Visual Studio for more complicated ones)
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:05 PM
  • I am getting the same issue but I am not useing approval. I.e. a document has a minor version as the latest in a library with major and minor versioning and access to minor versions limited to edit users and the document is not currently checked out. When a user with read only access to the library is logged in they can not see the minor version but when they click on the link to open the document they get the edited document! This is dangerous since I only want read only users to see the most recent published version.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:05 PM
  • I have found the answer to my problem. It was an issue I was experiencing testing as different users on my PC. For such tests to be complete I have to log on to the PC as the read only use as well as to Sharepoint. It is the PC login that determines if you see the most recent draft version of the document or the most recent controlled version of the document. I hope that helps Jack.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:01 PM