Why not fix the functions that are broke in Small Basic? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I know there are work arounds for things that don't work properly in Small Basic. Mainly because LitDev has always came to the rescue. Some examples would be: Flickr doesn't work unless you use LitDev's command LdUtilities.FixFlickr(). A couple of others is Network.DownLoadFile and Imagelist.LoadImage. These won't work when you try to download a URL. You can use LDNetwork.DownLoadFile to get the file down and then once down use ImageList.LoadImage to put it in memory, So, my question is why doesn't Microsoft fix the things that don't work? I know that they used to work properly and should be fixed.

There is a great tutorial called "Curriculum". If you try to go through the tutorial now you will find a number of things that don't work. Part of it is due to the issues mentioned above. Shouldn't someone be fixing these things? My concern is if you have someone that might in the future become a great Microsoft Progammer, but he gives up because he can't get anything to work the way that it should and decides that programming is too frustrating. isn't that a terrible loss? If he's just starting he doesn't know anything about extensions to make things work properly. He doesn't know that the "Curriculum" really needs to be fixed. He's just starting out and can't see the forest because of all the trees that are impeding his view.

There has been a lot of work by the people at Microsoft and contributors to make Small Basic what it is. i would really hate to see that go to waste simply because the site and code weren't properly maintained.

JR

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 2:50 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi jricestk, I guess that current Small Basic Desktop (SBD) v1.2 code base is almost stopped developing[*].  New SBO v1.0 code base will be the next SBD.  Detailed plans are described in the official blog:

NEW UPDATES: Small Basic Website 2.2 & Small Basic Online 1.0

And my understanding is that Flickr object is working even in SBD v1.2.  But Network object no longer works with many host with new type of security.

So for current SBD users have only way to use LitDev Extension if Network object is necessary.

[*] SBD v1.3 may fix some issues but I'm not sure that the network security issue is included or not. 

Nonki Takahashi

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 4:45 AM
  • Nonki,

I did reload 1.2 SBD and you were right in that the Flickr object will now work without using LitDevs Flickr fix. So, that leaves the Network object not working. I know that using LitDev's extension that his LDNetwork.DownloadFile works So, if he can make that work with the new security why can't Microsoft fix the Network object in Small Basic? They wouldn't even need to come out with a new level like 1.3. They don't come out with a new version of windows every time they need to fix something in the current version. They do an update. So, why can't they do an update to 1.2 not release a new version? That's what they must have did to fix the Flickr object.

I looked at the Online version of Small Basic and I see that it's a work in progress. Has some good ideas, but a lot of the functionality is still missing. So, going to that is not the answer at this time. To me the best solution is to do a simple update to fix the Nework Object which should make the Imagelist.loadimage work so that it can load a URL. Then someone that is just learning Small Basic would not have to mess around with extensions.

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 1:58 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi jricestk, your opinion is correct and excellent.  I'll talk to Microsoft about fixing this security issue with SBD v1.3.  The first thing I need to do is report the issue in detail to the TechNet Wiki.  Thanks.

Nonki Takahashi

• Edited by Nonki Takahashi Tuesday, April 7, 2020 11:05 PM removed needless block pasted from google translate
    Tuesday, April 7, 2020 11:04 PM
  • Nonki,

Thank you for suggesting a fix in 1.3. Hopefully that will make it easier for someone just starting out.

JR

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 11:16 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi JR, I wrote following report and sent message to Ed Price for fixing this issue in SBD v1.3.  Thanks.

Small Basic Known Issue: 53795 - Network Objects Don't Work for TLS Host

Nonki Takahashi

Wednesday, April 8, 2020 12:36 AM
  • Nonki,

Your report is great! Thanks so much.

JR

Wednesday, April 8, 2020 2:08 AM
    Answerer