none
Best license option for Windows 10 single-purpose device RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client that is looking to license Windows 10 for a single-purpose device.  They are building a web app for kiosk use, and the web app is built using HTML5 that is tested with Microsoft Edge in Build 1511.  They would like to have this installed on a system that will be used offline.  They are not using any other software on the computer.  They want to know if there is a way to license Windows 10 similar to the Windows 7/8 Embedded Standard, where you can either use a custom app, or use one of the included apps for single-purpose use, and just buy a runtime license for it at a reduced price.  The web app they built does not run on Internet Explorer 11, so they require Edge.  However, the only embedded options I'm seeing for Windows 10 is the IoT option, in which any app used has to be custom built and transferred as an appx package.  Can official Windows Store apps (Edge isn't available as a download through it, even though it's supposed to be a Universal app) be installed on IoT Core/Pro?  Or will there be a Windows 10 build that can be set up for single-app use with a build program similar to Windows 8.x Embedded Standard (or Industry).  I'm seeing that you can use Windows 10 Pro with Assigned Access, but is there a reduced-cost license program available for this usage scenario?  Because they're honestly looking at just going with a Chrome device connected to the Internet (which they'd prefer not to do) instead due to the relative license costs of a full copy of Windows 10 Pro.

Send me a link to the Licensing forum if need be.  I can't find it anymore.  The new Answers system is much harder to navigate, and the Microsoft Partner website doesn't have links to dedicated partner forums for licensing either.

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 10:46 PM

All replies

• The next version of Windows Embedded Desktop for dedicated apps is Windows 10 IoT Enterprise (a.k.a. Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB). http://www.annabooks.com/Articles/Articles_IoT10/Windows-10-IoT%20Rev1.2.pdf

Please contact a Microsoft distributor for more information on licensing details.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 11:12 PM
  • I feel your pain. Having just moved from WES7 to WES8.1 I am not looking forward to W 10 IOT. Especially not the insane bloat. (WinSXS I am looking at you!) Obviously I'm going to have to do it at some point, probably when I have to decide on new hardware for the next three years or so.

You might want to have them fix their "web app" so it works with IE11 or chrome then you can go all androidy.  It may well be quicker and less painful than 10.

=^x^=

Thursday, December 10, 2015 1:30 AM