How to change folder structure for solution / project RRS feed

• Question

• User1395831461 posted

When I create a solution and project I generally use the same structure of...

visual studio 2013 folder

projects folder

Solution Name Folder (contains the .sln object)

Project Name1 folder (contains source for project1)

Project Name2 folder (contains source for project2)

Project Name3 folder (contains source for project3)

...but somehow in one solution I ended up with the structure...

visual studio 2013 folder

Project Name1 folder (contains source for project1)

projects folder

Solution Name Folder (contains the .sln object)                                       

Project Name2 folder (contains source for project2)

Project Name3 folder (contains source for project3)

...when I open the solution I can see the Project Name1 source no problem and can see in the properties window for the project that the path is specified to point at the Project Name1 folder directly under the Visual Studio 2013 folder so that explains why it works but I would like to move it under the Solution Name Folder.

I copied the Project Name1 folder  from directly under the Visual Studio 2013 folder  to under the Solution Name Folder thinking that I could edit the path to the project in Visual Studio but the path appears to be uneditable.

Can someone show me how to change the path to the project in visual studio?  Or show me  the correct way to accomplish the object?

Thanks much for any help, Roscoe 

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 12:14 PM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

Hi,

Is there any way I can use the File/New/Project from existing code... to create a new project in a different folder from the source project?   That would seem to be my easiest option if it is possible,

This is the way to create a project from existing code files:

1.On the menu bar, choose File, New, Project From Existing Code.

The Create New Project from Existing Code Files wizard opens.

2.In the wizard, specify details about the existing code files that will be added to the project, and about the app that you will build.

See: How to: Create a Project from Existing Code Files

With regards,

Angie

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 10:33 PM
  • User-14384530 posted

Just go to folder where is solution, cut it and paste where you want.
    Open VS and open solution from new location.

Monday, November 21, 2016 2:53 PM

All replies

• User-166373564 posted

Hi Roscoe,

From your description above, following items will help you.

Further information: Modify Project Properties and Configuration Settings

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help.

With regards,

Angie

Monday, August 10, 2015 2:58 AM
  • User1395831461 posted

Hi Angie thanks for the reply,

Is there any way I can use the File/New/Project from existing code... to create a new project in a different folder from the source project?   That would seem to be my easiest option if it is possible,

Thanks tonnes for any help, Roscoe

Monday, August 10, 2015 9:58 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi,

This is the way to create a project from existing code files:

1.On the menu bar, choose File, New, Project From Existing Code.

The Create New Project from Existing Code Files wizard opens.

2.In the wizard, specify details about the existing code files that will be added to the project, and about the app that you will build.

See: How to: Create a Project from Existing Code Files

With regards,

Angie

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 10:33 PM
  • User1395831461 posted

Hi Angie, Thanks for  the help,

My issue is that the wizard only seems to let you create the new project from the existing project in the same directory as the existing project.  I want to create the new project in a different directory from the existing project.

Thanks tonnes, Roscoe

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 8:57 AM
  • User-14384530 posted

Just go to folder where is solution, cut it and paste where you want.
    Open VS and open solution from new location.

Monday, November 21, 2016 2:53 PM