FORMAL REQUEST TO THE MICROSOFT DYNAMIC DATA TEAM RRS feed

• Question

• User-326746839 posted

Dear gentlemen and ladies of the Microsoft Dynamic Data Team,

Mr. Steve Naughton says (and I hope so) that there might be chances that you read the posts published in this forum: I really hope so.

If that were the case then I am formally requesting to you in providing a "real answer" to my question:

I want to customize a dynamic data page (the details one) so I can have access to the data it has been already gathered from the end user UI (details.aspx) and use it to pass this same data to the following controls/pages that I am going to display next time to the end user.

For instance:

I have a screen with different types of data in it: texts, numbers, dates, check boxes, radio buttons and dropdownlists that has been filled with data by the end user. I want now to reset all fields exept the dropdownlist of which I'd like to keep the previously chosen values(the very same thing you do between dropdownlist of List.aspx ad Details.aspx). Even with FoxPro I could do that because data and controls were available there. It was as simple as setting carrying on to true.

HOW DO YOU DO THAT? HOW CAN I IMPLEMENT THE SAME LOGIC AMONG THE CONTROLS OF MY DETAILS PAGE? BUT I DO WANT TO HAVE ACCESS AND PASS DATA FOR SPECIFIC CONTROLS:DROPDOWNLISTS (mostly).

I have found my solution but is quite cumbersome (silly I might as well can say) because the overhead that I causes to my system by running innecessary code routines for filling matrixes, foreach loops to complement data, Session variableS, going round in circles because VS DD doesn't allow you to gather data in between (everything is reset and lost every single round)

Best regards (... ... really)

Carlos Porras (El Salvador)

Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:04 PM

Answers

• User660823006 posted

Carlos,

To create something like what I think you are asking for I took the default template in Dynamic Data for Entities in .NET and made the following changes to the DynamicData\PageTemplates\Insert.aspx:

protected void Page_Init(object sender, EventArgs e) {

table = DynamicDataRouteHandler.GetRequestMetaTable(Context);

object o;

if (InsertState.TryGetValue(table.Name, out o)) {

FormView1.SetMetaTable(table, o);

} else {

FormView1.SetMetaTable(table, table.GetColumnValuesFromRoute(Context));

}

DetailsDataSource.EntityTypeFilter = table.EntityType.Name;

}

protected void DetailsDataSource_Inserting(object sender, EntityDataSourceChangingEventArgs e) {   

InsertState[table.Name] = e.Entity;

}

Dictionary<string, object> InsertState {

get {

Dictionary<string, object> result = (Dictionary<string, object>)Session["InsertState"];

if (result == null) {

result = new Dictionary<string, object>();

Session["InsertState"] = result;

}

return result;

}

}

Be sure to take the DetailsDataSource_Inserting and hook it up the EntityDataSource control on the page. This code is very simple. It takes the value that is being saved from the datasource control and stores it into a dictionary in session state. Then the page uses the same code I blogged about a week or so ago to use the value from the dictionary to set the default values on the insert. 

I hope this is what you are looking for.

BTW, I wanted to let you know that the answers that I and other put in the forums are on our own personal time. Answers can take a few days because we also have our full time jobs. If you want to keep sending rude messages then I'm not going to respond anymore.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:58 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

BULK INSERT = SOLVED !!!!

Just to let you know that I finally solved this puzzle. Not in the "elegant" way I'd like to .... but anyway .... done!

I used a series of Session variables as to cheat the tricky games of Dynamic Data as to simulate my own PostBacks.

I also played with the semantic/metric of my database as to identify properly to which variable did the data belong in each case (round/cycle or wathever you might want to call to the different times Dynamic Data runs a base template page)

The good thing is that it works for any table, any # of relations, any number of relatives in any way (up or down)

I am trying to go ahead now with the "referential integrity" and it seems to go welll ... for now.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:42 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hi,

It seems that JimmyM had an answer DATED MAY 2004"Re: Reset Button for a form" for reseting all textboxes values after insertion

If I had seen this a year ago!!! oh my God! :)     :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)

Friday, January 21, 2011 12:59 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

well come on Carlos give us a link to it [:)] 

Friday, January 21, 2011 4:06 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

WHY DON'T YOU TEACH US HOW TO PUT THEM TOGETHER VERTICALLY ALIGNED?

Well I liked them side by side but if you want them vertically aligned then add this code:

// add control to place holder
    if (i < parentColumns.Count - 1)
        PlaceHolder1.Controls.Add(new Literal() { Text = "<br />" });

Just before the filter is added to PlaceHolder1 in the page init.

P.S. requests for changes on an article would be better asked on my blog so that if others want the same thing they will find it there.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:40 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

Here you go Sergei, just replace the current if statement with the code below;

if (i == parentColumns.Count - 1)
    {
        PlaceHolder1.Controls.Add(new Label() { Text = filters[i].Column.DisplayName, CssClass = "DDControl" });
        PlaceHolder1.Controls.Add(new Literal() { Text = "&nbsp;" });
    }

{
        PlaceHolder1.Controls.Add(new Label() { Text = filters[i].Column.DisplayName, CssClass = "DDControl" });
    }
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 5:10 AM

All replies

• User-326746839 posted

I must add something:

If the dropdownlist values were to be kept (anyway it might be possible) there is always a chance that you (the developer) could be needing to perform certain actions as to filter following dropdownlists as to accomplish proper display in accordance with your referential integrity (it will make no sense allowing to present all data from a FK if there is some kind of dependency of previously chosen values from another control)

It has been insipidly bapatized as "cascading" but I rather won't use that word here.

Moreover, we all know that you can "customize" single pages as to have direct access to all of the controls pertaining to an specific table, but what will be the purpose of "scaffolding" all of your tables as to use a single customized set of pages that applies (if not to all to many) to a group of tables (shurely mapped accordingly in your Global.asx file trough URL redirecting).

I will expect to customize a single version of my details.aspx only, that's my goal which by the way and in its escense is a totally different solution than the ones presented in all walktroughs and tutorials that I know about customizing Dynamic Data pages.

Friday, August 20, 2010 12:40 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hola,

It seems that Mr. Naughton got it all wrong! People from Microsoft seems not to visit this forum.

In my culture, if that were not the case and that the people from MS had read my post and not having answered it, at least acknowleding it, seems extremelly rude because it makes you think that you are unimportant to them ... or that they are careless (sloppy maybe) with what they are supposed to do: deliver efficiently the technology that MS had put under their responsability to all of us in a very smooth, professional and excellent way.

Sorry if my comment seems to be a little harsh but it is even "harsher" (i just made it up) to be ignored, specially when I think that my demand is set on very strong base: The Dynamic Data Framework hasn't been clearly explained/delivered to all of us.

It is not fair that we waste a lot of time trying to understand something that has been alreay deprecated in the next release of the product and you have dedicated 100s of hours trying to solve/understand.

It is not fair that we have to wander all around the Internet looking for answers and it is not fair that  a lot of people blog their answers as to satisfy doubts that just shouldn't be there (hope my redaction makes sense ... I'm just thinking in Spanish right now!)

Saturday, August 21, 2010 6:45 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hola,

Sometimes silence is the best way to let you know that you don't really exist at all Frown

Carlos porras (El Salvador) 

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:33 PM
  • User660823006 posted

I'm assuming that in your case you are trying to set defaults on an insert page because that is the only scenario I can think of that matches what you are talking about.

This is a problem that is generally hard to solve in Web Forms today (with Dynamic Data or not). We did add some new functionality in .NET 4 to make this easier to do. There is a new SetMetaData call that can make life a little easier. It now has two overloads one that takes and object and one that takes a series of name value pairs as a dictionary. Using this makes it very easy to pass your defaults into the page and this is how dynamic data will pass the default foreign key into an insert page if you are coming from a list page that is filtered. You will see the default insert page calls this function grabbing the values from the route.

You would have a couple of choices here. If you want to set hardcoded defaults for various types you could stick with the default insert page and look at the metatable being passed in to determine the  type and then set your defaults and pass them in. If you are looking to do something like preserve the last insert values for various tables you could do something like modoify the Insert page to grab the inserting event and on an insert set into session the metatablename + all of the values from the insert event. the when the insert page is hit look up the metatable and pass the values back in.

I think you could do this in 5-10 lines of code. Let me know if this is what you are trying to do and I might be able to make a sample.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:33 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hi Mr. Scott Hunter,

First at all thanks for your answer. I am really wating for your ASP.Net Dynamic Data 4.0 videos as the ones you made before. They were just great!

And Yes! my question was about the Insert page. There is one problem with your approach in analyzing the way in which data is passed between List.aspx and Insert.aspx and the way in which data is passed inside Insert.aspx. Dynamic Data implementation is absolutely different in both modes.

Reading answers to this very same question (carrying on data for dropdownlist, call them filters) in this formum I found an answer that if you modify the DetailsView1_ItemInserted event with e.KeepInInsertMode = true; you got the trick done, values are kept there (carried on from previous data entry). Unfortunatelly they are ALL available not just the dropdownlists. So the problem is again: How can I reset all other values except those pertaining to dropdownlists?

I have found a way of "catching dropdownlists values on the fly". For that purpose I create a matrix of values for each round that Dynamic Data does as to build the new page to the end user. The problem I had is that my solution worked for simple foreign key tables but it fails in composite FK tables because of the nature of the index (m,n) so the SelectedValue is of not use but SelectedIndex, but you can't use both because they are mutually exclusive. The problem there is that the Insert page uses in its logic SelectedValues.

I consider my solution not good enough for real life purposes.

It is also complicated (and I think it will have a drawback if you put it like this in production) to be using Session varaibles as to keep your on the fly values, specially if you are going to have a lot of users loging on (using) your application.

Best regards

P.S.: If you build a sample would be terrific

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:36 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hola,

I will appreciate if you buil d a sample for us

Thank you

Thursday, August 26, 2010 9:00 AM
  • User660823006 posted

I started writing a blog post last night that shows off some of this functionality (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/scothu/archive/2010/08/26/automatically-prepopulate-fields-for-insert-in-net-4.aspx). It is a basic post showing how to use this out of Dynamic Data but shows about HALF of what you would need. I'll try and do the rest but it may take a couple of days.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 12:37 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

Mr. Hunter,

if you modify the DetailsView1_ItemInserted event with e.KeepInInsertMode = true; while Inserting you got previous values "kept". That works and it a very clear, effective and simple implementation in Dynamic Data 4.

Unfortunatelly values are ALL kept not just the dropdownlists. So the problem here is : How can be reset all other values except those pertaining to dropdownlists?

Is there a simple way to do this like:

• e.KeepInInsertMode.KeepDropDownLists = true,
    • e.KeepInInsertMode.[KindOfData1, KindOfData2, KindOfData3, ...] = true
    • e.KeepInInsertMode = reset (to reset them all without leaving the Insert page), and so on

Sorry to be bothering so much with this but this a key part of my development strategy in using Dynamic Data.

My thinking is that I have to use as much as possible the "base templates" and that the customization must be relegated as a very last resource. MetaData should be my goal in customizing ..., I guess !!!

It makes no sense that you customize as many pages as entity/table you have in your model, does it? Customizing too much is not the idea behind Dynamic Data, is it?

Best regards

Friday, August 27, 2010 11:37 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

To whom it may concern,

I certainly appreciate the effort and time in trying to solve/answer our doubts.

I have made a follow up of the approach of the solution galready given by that team (MS) in a real life situation but unfortunatelly the complexity of the Dynamic Data engine is quite complicated and your model seems just to be far away from reality (I'm talking about normal people like me: under 90 I.Q.)

It just happens that passing the values among your dropdownlists (the ones that you create on your own on top of the screen and those that are automatically built by Dynamic Data) is something extremelly complicated. What I am saying is taht if you customize a page in which you create your own filters (customized) on top of your  new cutomized page you will face real problems trying to make your page work passing values between the "customized part" and the "automatically generated part"

Dynamic Data uses 3 pages to solve this issue; Insert.aspx, Default_Insert.ascx and ForeignKey_Edit.ascx.

For instance, while debugging I can find out that the value

(new System.Linq.SystemCore_EnumerableDebugView<MarketingAppWithDS.t48tbl_tmmes>(contact.t48tbl_tmmes)).Items[0]._code_tmm has the correct value  stored in it (a number ... any depending on what you have chosen).

This value correspond to the dropdownlist that I customized by my own on top of the page.

But even tough you have this value it is not easy trying to pass it to the Insert.aspx page:

<asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanel1" runat="server">
            <ContentTemplate>
                <asp:ValidationSummary ID="ValidationSummary1" runat="server" EnableClientScript="true"
                    HeaderText="List of validation errors" CssClass="DDValidator" />
                <asp:DomainValidator runat="server" ID="DetailsViewValidator" ControlToValidate="FormView1"
                    Display="None" CssClass="DDValidator" />
                <asp:FormView runat="server" ID="FormView1" DataSourceID="DetailsDataSource" DefaultMode="Insert"
                    OnItemCommand="FormView1_ItemCommand" OnItemInserted="FormView1_ItemInserted"
                    OnItemInserting="FormView1_ItemInserting" RenderOuterTable="false">
                    <InsertItemTemplate>
                        <table id="detailsTable" cellpadding="6">
                                                    <asp:DynamicEntity runat="server" Mode="Insert">

This code is part of the Isert.aspx page which also contains/creates/displays (while running the application) the dropdownlists belonging to your FKs for that specific table.

So let's try to be a little more concise and clear on this, please.

If you simply don't want to answer ... just say it.
    If you can't say it ... say it.
    If you don't want to say it ... say it
    If you don't have an answer ... please say it.

(sorry for capitalizing next)

IT IS REALLY FRUSTRATING THAT EVERY SINGLE EXAMPLE GIVEN ON CUSTOMIZATION IS ABOUT "NOT REAL LIFE SITUATION DYNAMIC DATA PAGES". Meaning that you "customize" pages that not even closer resemble what it is found in Dynamic Data "PageTemplates"

Every example given uses an approach that it is not (and doesn't follow) what Dynamic Data does while is really working.

You don't even use the same mark up in your examples. e.g.: DetailsView1.EnableDynamicData(typeof(DatabaseModel.Contact)); In our case DetailsView1 is not even used in Insert.aspx.

Sometimes I feel like MS is playing games with us.

Sometimes I feel like MS is taking the wrong way in its approach for solving problem as Oracle once did: mostly interested in selling books, trainings and certifications that we (normal people of the third udeveloped and poor world) just can't afford to pay.

Sorry if what I'm saying seems a little harsh but what is the purpose of trying to work with a tool that seems to be designated just to be "playing" with it while developing, helping you with RAW CRUD only meanwhile we think that it can be used in a real application put into production.

It seems to me that Dynamic Data has much more to give than that .. so please DELIVER!

Friday, September 3, 2010 11:56 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hola,

To be more concise in what I'm trying to say:

It makes no sense if you are going to "customize" every single page of your application.

What would be the sense or the meaning of having as much customized pages  as tables you have in your model? That is not simply the essence of Dynamic Data but "Templating", is it?

So ... we are entitled to learn how to customize "Base PageTemplates" not "whatever page"

But if if this is going to be a myth ... you better put Dynamic Data apart from Visual Studio and we can focus on something else as to build our own applications.

I have spend a whole year trying to solve this issue and everytime it becomes more frustrating.

There has been a lack of  commitment from the development team as to answer a lot of the questions posted here.

I'll give you a simple example of this missconduct from them:

http://www.asp.net/aspnet-in-net-35-sp1/videos/how-to-create-table-specific-custom-forms-in-an-aspnet-dynamic-data-application

dated 11 December 2008 by Joe Stagner and still on hold from him

So if I'm angry is because of MS disrespect to all of us

Saturday, September 4, 2010 1:25 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

Geeeeze ...  Sepulchral silence again ....

You see, is really frustraring trying to finish a real world application when it just happens that some basiscs issues about the new technology you are pretending to use are still unsolved.

I know is annoying reading about this over and over but .... you are the specialists, to whom else will I go to clarify doubts?

How can we customize "cascading" automatically, keeping referential integrity obviously at data displayed level in the GUI, as to make "bulk insert" operations more efficient .... how can you do that without "customizing" but trough TEMPLATES that is almot the Dynamic Data's Bible.

So, if there is no solution yet to this problem ... please say it, and if it is going to be a solution in the mid term ... just say it too.

The problem with silence is that you don't tell us were to go:

• Do we stay in Dynamic Data or
    • Sholud we move to naything else (not template based) as ASP.Net was before Dynamic Data appeared (DALs and BLLs, SPs, etc.)

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:38 PM
  • User660823006 posted

Carlos,

To create something like what I think you are asking for I took the default template in Dynamic Data for Entities in .NET and made the following changes to the DynamicData\PageTemplates\Insert.aspx:

protected void Page_Init(object sender, EventArgs e) {

table = DynamicDataRouteHandler.GetRequestMetaTable(Context);

object o;

if (InsertState.TryGetValue(table.Name, out o)) {

FormView1.SetMetaTable(table, o);

} else {

FormView1.SetMetaTable(table, table.GetColumnValuesFromRoute(Context));

}

DetailsDataSource.EntityTypeFilter = table.EntityType.Name;

}

protected void DetailsDataSource_Inserting(object sender, EntityDataSourceChangingEventArgs e) {   

InsertState[table.Name] = e.Entity;

}

Dictionary<string, object> InsertState {

get {

Dictionary<string, object> result = (Dictionary<string, object>)Session["InsertState"];

if (result == null) {

result = new Dictionary<string, object>();

Session["InsertState"] = result;

}

return result;

}

}

Be sure to take the DetailsDataSource_Inserting and hook it up the EntityDataSource control on the page. This code is very simple. It takes the value that is being saved from the datasource control and stores it into a dictionary in session state. Then the page uses the same code I blogged about a week or so ago to use the value from the dictionary to set the default values on the insert. 

I hope this is what you are looking for.

BTW, I wanted to let you know that the answers that I and other put in the forums are on our own personal time. Answers can take a few days because we also have our full time jobs. If you want to keep sending rude messages then I'm not going to respond anymore.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:58 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

Mr. Scott Hunter,

I appreciate your answer and I will apologize to you as a person.

Let me just say that I have not by any mean tried to be disrespectful to you or anyone else who is acting at a personal level in this forum, never have I tried to be disrispectful to Microsoft too.

I understand that at such level, as a person, you are not even obligued to read what I post nor even answer my questions or comment about my toughts. I know it is up to you, at your best discretion, interest, devotion or love that you might have in helping other people's to solve some issues about this technology (that in some way has a part of you in it  and which was later delivered by Microsoft to the world).

So I don't have any issue with you and I deeply respect you as a person.

Please accept my apologies to you.

Best Regards

*******************************************************************************************************
    *******************************************************************************************************

Nevertheless, I will add that when I wrote this message I tought that I was addressing myself to the "Microsoft Dynamic Data  Development Team" and I think that I don't have to be afraid of asking "formally" to them trough this forum because we don't have any other way of letting them know our needs.

I wrote my questions here because I was instructed to do it that way by some Microsoft people to whom I directly asked this kind of questions before and they said that I will have to do it this way.

Sorry for bad chosing of words or language on my part. Sorry for writing that way.

In a way, I think that by asking (even forcing answers) I am doing a favor to Microsoft and to all the people using this technology, call it Dynamic Data, which has been not properly delivered/documeted to all of us (which by the way is just my humble opinion).

Microsoft should understand that that they have created something which is terrific, excellent, good, outstanding .... but of what use could it be if we can't just even use it.

Not all of us have the same capacitiy to build spectacular pieces of code or devote our lifes to be resolving unsolved issues yet at a personal level as Mr. Steve Naughton does.

Steve has an extraordinary capacity to write C# code. I don't think I have.

On my side I will expect to be rather solving my client's business rules/needs with the most easiest and remarkable predefined classes that I could get directly form within the Visual Studio (ASP.Net) framework/architechture than writing C# code that just simply should be alredy there, won't you?

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 12:31 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

Two questions:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

1) (In your example with an Entities Context) After Inserting (having commented the line of returning to List.aspx as to remain in the Insert page) the code seems not to work. My guess is that "Default_Insert" sets everything back to [Not Set] in the dropdownlists trough "ForeignKey_Edit"

Any help ...?

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:10 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hola,

Help please!

Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:06 AM
  • User660823006 posted

So in your case you want to have it also stay on the Insert page after inserting a record? My change does not support that yet it should make the data stay the same if you go to the List page and then back to the Insert page. In order to do what you want I think you would need to Redirect back to the Insert page (aka a postback) in order for the behavior to work. Let me know if you a sample of that. 

Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:19 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

Mr. Hunter,

I'd like to replicate the very same behavior that Dynamic Data provides when you do this:

• You are in the List page
    • Then you select a record as to see the "Details"
    • Then you press "Edit"

There you have available all information from the record you have chosen including all dropdwonlists with previous data already selected on them. Then you press Update and everything is changed to the new selected/entered data.

So my question is:

How can you replicate that very same behaviour while "Bulk Inserting"?

(I call this when you stay in the same Insert page by simply commenting the redirect sentence after insertion has been made) which is like recreating the very same scenario you had while editing because you already have the information of the record just inserted. But Dynamic Data doesn't behave the same way because while inserting everything switches back to [Not Set] in dropdownlists.

The problem is then: How to "reset" all other information but the one contained in the dropdowlists after an inserttion has been made?

That will make data entry easier to my end users while entering data of the same kind.

This is the case that your end user might be entering information of a catalog of products and while doing that it would be very convenient to maintain all previous selections of dropdownlist made. That would make their data entering easier as they won't have to reselect again previously selected data which might as weel be of the very same kind they are needing to create a new record, for instance: a user might be entering information about "juices" and the products who is entering are quite similar except for some disctintive data as "bar code", "color", "weight", "cost", "expiry date" and so on. All other inforamtion could be the same (talking about dropdownlists)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following step is the real problem that I have been looking for to answer:

How to keep referential inegrity while bulk inserting if the end user decides to chane one of the dropdownlits selection? But that supposes that you have already first solved the issue we are discusin right here ... carrying on data from previous insertion (the dropdownlists only) [maybe checkboxes and radio buttons too]

Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:58 PM
  • User-124543203 posted

Carlos,

You might want to comment on a post I just made here.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 1:48 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hola everybody,

Does anybody read this Forum ever?

It seems unbelibable that it had passed almost 2 days since last answer to any topic here! Not just mines ..... what's wrong?

Monday, September 27, 2010 1:23 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

Member of the Official Microsoft Dynamic Data Development Team,

Should I still wait for your answer about this topic or should I understand that this is a closed case for you?

I'd rather hear your answer formally more than just something you are doing in your spare time or that you consider like doing a favor or some kind of charity.

You have no idea how hard have I tried solving this issue but every time I got a "solution" it comes that Dynamic Data's behavior just made me look bad and resets everything back again to [Not Set].

I am talking about carrying previously selected values to the dropdownlist contained in the Insert.aspx page as to facilitate Bulk Inserting to my end users.

How hard could it be for you (I mean the Official Microsoft Dynamic Data Development Team) disclose the way in which the "matrix" of data is rebuilt again when the sentence e.KeepInInsertMode = true; is used versus the way in which the Default_Insert.ascx resets all values, specially the ForeignKey_Edit.ascx one.

I just can't find a way of "extracting" contained somehow in using e.KeepInInsertMode = true as to carry on only the previously selected values of the dropdownlist (only the Foreign Keys) and set all other values to an empty content (null probably but I guess it might rise an exception in some cases depending on the kind of data or depending on the database schema architecture)

It is so hard to pay attention to this request or am I insisting in something rather trivial which doesn't deserve even an answer?

Carlos Porras (<st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">El Salvador</st1:place></st1:country-region>)

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 11:56 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

BULK INSERT = SOLVED !!!!

Just to let you know that I finally solved this puzzle. Not in the "elegant" way I'd like to .... but anyway .... done!

I used a series of Session variables as to cheat the tricky games of Dynamic Data as to simulate my own PostBacks.

I also played with the semantic/metric of my database as to identify properly to which variable did the data belong in each case (round/cycle or wathever you might want to call to the different times Dynamic Data runs a base template page)

The good thing is that it works for any table, any # of relations, any number of relatives in any way (up or down)

I am trying to go ahead now with the "referential integrity" and it seems to go welll ... for now.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:42 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

Dear Steve,

I am trying to implement your Cascading inside my application. It works fine as it is by using proper directives in my MetaData file but I need to make some modifications into it as to also implement my "Bulk Insert" feature.

The problem I have is that I can't debugg inside your code. VS2010 says that my breakpoints will not be reached because it can't load some symbols. So debug doesn't simply work and I need to ... any idea? help please?

Friday, October 29, 2010 10:56 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

Steve,

Sorry. I had missed copying .pdb files

Friday, October 29, 2010 1:55 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

TOO MANY PEOPLE ASKING THE SAME THING AND IT SEEMS THAT NOBODY READ ANYONE ELSE'S ANSWERS ABOUT DEFICIENCIES IN DYNAMIC DATA'S FRAMEWORK 4, NEITHER THE PEOPLE FROM MICROSOFT ... IT SEEMS!

I already forgot about all of these because I solved my problems with Mr. Naughton's help. So C# Bits NotAClue seems to be the right place to learn Dynamic Data ... only!!!

Why does it take too long for one of the biggest organizations in the world to fix something that should have been fixed ages ago?

C'mon ... it is not because of my profane language or having me in the freezer ... forgotten ... IT IS ABOUT A HUGE PROCRASTINATION in fixing something obvious.

Why does it bother Microsoft having me yelling about all of these if in the other hand they have spent millions of dollars writing "fixes" almost every day (if not hour) for all deficiencies in their products, call it patches, vulnerabilities, service packs and whatever any name that you might think to say that they have been doing things ... WRONG!!!! with most of their products ... mostrly with its operating system Windows (all and every version of it)

And what not to say about lack of proper documenattion and the implementation of one of the most ugliest web sites in the world ... call it MSN ... what about a waste of time.  .... and what about CodePlex ... better laugh myself loud out

Guess this post will be probably erased soon!!!!

Friday, December 3, 2010 9:58 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hi,

Finally I got it !!! 

Having read newer posts about cascading or whatehever name you want to use to refer yourself to that very same thing, it was clear for me last night that by using a code generator it is much better that using Dynamic Data.

In my case I was using ASP.Net Maker 8 and suddenly I realized how wrong have I been struggling with Dynamic Data.

I realized that I won't have to waste two more years of my life finding out how to do things in the right way in Dynamic Data (mostly waiting to for Mr. Stephen Naughton to be kind enough, as always, in answering questions about a product which seems now to be one of his own ) just because I wanted to believe, very badly, that CRUDing (call it developing) with Dynamic Data should be the panacea of my wildest dreams about developing parameterized applications, reusable code, adjustable, escalable, tailored to my database schema definitions, etc, etc .... and a bunch of many other dreams (maybe because I learned to code using GW BASIC years ago ... 80's and later on with FoxBase II)

It just happens that customizing pre generated ASP.Net Maker Code is simpler than configuring a badly realease product from Microsoft like Dynamic Data.

In one night I got almost developed 25% of my application starting from scratch. Yes!

ASP.Net Maker 8 gives you all you need: DALs, BLLs and a good set of classes for accesing/defining trough objects the way in which you will be maintaining you data.

AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL: Controls are already there for you to fill them properly/accordingly with your BLLs. Moreover, you can control PostBacks and Session variables more effectively and you just need the "normal" C# classes to write your code.

Not hideen stuff (just boring repetitive code and a thousands of screens, UIs, to maintain ... as it has always been)

SO I THOUGHT ... .... .... What's the need of using Dynamic Data at all   ... .... ..... ...... ???????

Having said that and knowing in advance that Microsoft people and moderators of this forums doesn't want me to be here any longer ..... that's it ....

I'm leaving you guys for good!!!

Bye

Monday, December 6, 2010 4:38 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hi,

on  09-22-2010, 11:39 PM ricka6 wrote to MrYossu on "Why I won't be using Dynamic Data any more - please read this Microsoft! " (http://forums.asp.net/t/1604037.aspx?PageIndex=2). After 3 months we are still waiting. What should be understood as "SOON" by the Microsoft people?

This is obliviously silly, negligent, irresponsible, horridly, unkindly, unethical, cruel and disrespectful to all of us. You don’t just hurt by words by  also by lack of positive actions.

WE ARE STILL WATING !!!!!

Check it out ..... Cry is just a crying shame!!!! .... worst ever!!!!!

Moss:

Well, having spent a few weeks banging my head against a brick wall trying to learn Dynamic Data, I'm giving up. It looks like a great idea, but is fundamentally flawed in at least two respects...

1) The documentation and code samples are pitiful. As has been discussed several times before in this forum, it's almost impossible to learn the technology when the few resources that exist are woefully out of date, and hopelessly inadequate. Sure, you can get a basic DD site up and running quickly, but once you want to start customizing - which is essential if you're going to use this for real - you run into problems that just aren't covered anywhere.

I know someone is going to point me to the DD pages on MSDN, but to be blunt, they're no use for learning anything more than the very basics. MSDN is a great reference resource, but that's only good when you know what you're looking for. It's no use for learning from the ground up. The videos on the www.asp.net site give you a start, but as soon as you want to do anything yourself, you run into problems that just aren't covered in the videos. Some things, like custom filters, just aren't mentioned at all, so how you're supposed to find out how to write your own is beyond me.

The only resource for help is this forum, but as there only seem to be two people here who actually know anything about DD, they just don't have the time to answer all the questions. I would like to thank Steve Naughton and David Ebb publicly for all the help they've given, but unless Microsoft is going to start paying them to support DD, they aren't going to be able to devote enough time to make this work for those of us who are trying to learn.

If Microsoft want people to use DD, then they need to invest some time and money in providing resources for people to learn it. I am trying to earn a living, and just don't have the time to waste hours searching for a solution to something that is basic and should have been covered in training material. I don't mind investing time to learn, but only when it's productive and useful. I object to wasting hours struggling against a lack of input by Microsoft.

Hi Moss,

Thanks for your candid appraisal of Microsoft's Dynamic Data documentation. I primarily work on MVC, but I will be writing DD content soon.   I've forwarded a link to this thread to my manger for review.

We can address the perf issue in another thread.

I'll focus my responses to documenting Dynamic Data.

Monday, January 3, 2011 12:17 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

I am challenging the Microsoft Dynamic Data Development Team (Please copy Mr. Bill Gates about this)

Dynamic Data is like a “bait” for developers. If you have ever read “The Odyssey” the theme of temptation as a psychological peril is portrayed by the sirens who lure sailors to their deaths by seduction.

That’s the same “luring” profile from Microsoft to all of for using Dynamic Data in our development.

I still wonder why Microsoft decided to go ahead releasing such a “flaw_lishly” framework (even though Mr. Naughton says it is not one)

But I had enough and a lot of people as I usually see people around here asking over and over the same FAQs on Dynsmic Data topics (call it silly questions about deficiencies of the product which should have been resolved at least a year ago)

I am really angry because none of the “professionals” “moderating” this “Forum” has had the integrity in answering me. It is not fair to remain silence or threatening me for using “rude” language for asking something that I HAD REQUESTED FORMALLY !!!!

Unfortunately, the only guy who gave me a kind of answer said he was doing it on his spare time and that he is full of work as to attend my questions … which by the way he pointed out to be correct (implicitly) but that my manners were poor… !!! I would like to address how sounds Santa in Christmas time … ....

But assuming that they are correct and that I am not …. then …

I Publicly Challenge you Microsoft DD Team to show to all of us a real life application written entirely using DD including customizations of all kind and using all tricks that might accomplish all what C#Bits has been trying to solve from you.

Put inside of it business rules, cascading dropdownlists, keep previous entries available to the user while inserting, providing a security mechanisms, menus, breadcrumbs, high volume data manipulation, RIA services, custom controls, custom filters, custom pages other than the List.aspx page, complex routing, prefiltering data, importing/exporting data, remodeling of your .edmx files and all contextual changes in the event that your database changes, …
    … … … … … … … among a few others!!

I would like to copy address here to Mr. Bill Gates as your President to solve this huge mess you have involved all of us called Dynamic Data

Hope you dare to copy him

And don’t hesitate to contact me at any time if you need my email, phone number, social security number, address, and any other information that you might need to address to me formally

I guess is time now!!

Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:32 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hi,

It seems that JimmyM had an answer DATED MAY 2004"Re: Reset Button for a form" for reseting all textboxes values after insertion

If I had seen this a year ago!!! oh my God! :)     :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)    :)

Friday, January 21, 2011 12:59 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

well come on Carlos give us a link to it [:)] 

Friday, January 21, 2011 4:06 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hi Mr. Naughton,

Is it Steve or Stephen? :~

Ok! I have to admit I said I wouldn't back ever to this forum ... .... .... ever .... yeah! I know ... ... ... it seems like I failed myself in what I said ... please forgive me for being in love with this forbiden tool of us called Dynamic Data ... jaja

I have a question for you Mr. Stephen Naughton:

In your cascading solutions there is no dropdownlist inside the control itself because you create it on the fly inside your code behind.

That's ok, but there is one thing: the dropdownlist boxes appear right side each other which really looks pretty ugly if you have many of them (even just 2 of them look bad).

Sorry for oxymoroning !!! (I just made that word up and I don't even know if such exists ... but I guess you understand)

Just the way they look right now doesn't match with Dynamic Data native look-and-feel... it doesn't!   ... ... at all :(

Moreover, there should be a way of adding corresponding labes to each dropdownlist on the left hand side, don't you think?

Again ... I am not complaining neither am I being disrespectul or whatever thing that might lead you to think that I am not polite enough .... I am just asking if it is possible, it is?

Best regards as always my dear friend Mr. Naughton

Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:23 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

Well I liked them side by side but if you want them vertically aligned then add this code:

Just before the filter is added to PlaceHolder1 in the page init.

P.S. requests for changes on an article would be better asked on my blog so that if others want the same thing they will find it there.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:40 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hi,

While debuggin my application I was able to use the code which is listed below. s1642Model is the name of my model and m14mst_businesstypes is the name of one of my entities.

I'm looking for a way of making this piece of code to work with any table so I 'm looking for a way of passing a variable instead of this "hard coded" naming used in the debug mode.

The thing is that in execution mode the if statement will read like this:

if (((m14mst_businesstypes.cod_businesstype.ToString() == "3") ...

if (((m27mst_creditcardtypes.cod_businesstype.ToString() == "3") ...

if (((m33mst_customertypes.cod_businesstype.ToString() == "3") ...

if (((m56mst_supplierstypes.cod_businesstype.ToString() == "3") ...

if (((m66mst_producttypes.cod_businesstype.ToString() == "3") ...

which is like having

if( "3" == "3") ..... and proceed populating my dropdownlist

-

if (((s1642Model.m14mst_businesstypes)(o)).cod_businesstype.ToString() == bis)
                    {
                        string text = table.GetDisplayString(o);
                        string value = table.GetPrimaryKeyString(o);
                        listItemCollection.Add(new ListItem(text, value.TrimEnd()));
                    }

-

P.S.: Steve Naughton, I tried creating a new thread .... as usual ..... NON PUBLISHED!!! more than 10 hours ago

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 11:24 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

Hi Carlos, where is this code. PageTemplate or FieldTemplate? 

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 11:52 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hi Steve,

FieldTemplate in the PopulateListControlFK method (written by me) which calls

public static void FillListItemCollection(MetaTable table, ListItemCollection listItemCollection) which is a copy of the original method obtained trough Reflector

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 12:04 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hi Steve,

Lets say you have a program that writes its output to the console. Is there a way of simulating this but instead of creating an output to the screen write the output in your ptogram?

Let's say that I have

var MyTable = table.Name;

MyTable has stored inside of it "Customers" so I'd like to have a way of creating a new variable name whose name will be "Customers", like this:

var Customers = ....... <any code> 

I have tried with Jscript Eval but didn't work!!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 1:22 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

Sorry Carlos, only work with the browser [:(]

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 9:46 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

I’ve been adding pieces of code in order to be partially patching all my DD applications.

It’s funny how many times have I had changed my code as to make simpler approaches for implementing my real life code.

It is even funnier to see all the time that many of us have wasted looking for simple answers here which haven’t been fully rewarded by the leading brains of creating the core pieces of code of this so called state-of-the-art technology – not framework according to Mr. Steve Naughton. I was trying to say that we ask much and we don’t get as many “true” or “exact” or “precise” or “in full extent” answers but having instead evil “NOT TRUE” or :meaningful” answers.

I laugh out laud finding out that you don’t really need to do anything to get “cloning” resolved. DD does it if you are smart enough and also if you don’t know as many C# a required as to build a pierce of code of your own.

But Microsoft people knows … it is just that they don’t want to deliver answers …. …. Any !!!!, yes!.

You rather get a subscription to PluralSight and you will get knowledge … real one! Shame on you if you can’t afford it  …. BTW …. They seem to have “reduced” tuition fees …., finally …. Which is very welcomed  … still blackmail !!!

Even though … they – call t MS --- SHOULD DELIVER, …. SHOULD ANSWER …. SHOULD DO THEIR JOB.

Cloning …. Ooops …. should I say instead: combining edit + insert at once and you get it done by DD right away ???? … … …. … YES!

LAST REMARK WORTHS A LOT OF NIGHT FLYING HOURS … THOUSANDS … SO PLEASE DON’T IGNORE IT …. IT REALLY WORTHS … and WORKS!!!!!

Simple, uh?

IT IS ALSO TRUE THAT IT IS A REAL PAIN … … … …. somewhere …. … trying to work with values contained within Forms or Grids or Controls once they had been already displayed on screen

Steve is going to say that I am wrong … which is true … but it is also not true.

IT IS EASY FOR HIM !!!!  not for the rest of mortal people

Why doesn’t MS gives us a pair of snippets in CodePlex as to get this information gathered right away … not foreach’s …not magical loops ….

Steve Naughton says “override the populate method” but then you don’t know how does MS DD does internally for CRUDing in the background … …. So you rather not go there … Forbidden TO MORTALS

Those “hidden” instructions makes our life miserable ….yeah! a beautiful link button  associated with the action “Insert”, “Edit”, Delete”, “Update” …….

Simple people won’t understand how inserting a row is done, how showing editing content is done, how deletions are done … how updates are done …. At database level .

DD uses its own source code and if you dare to use your own …. You ARE IN HUGE BIG ENORMOUS GIGANTIC TROUBLE

So when I say that MS DD doesn’t deliver it is because they DON’T

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 1:17 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

So Carlos, do you have a Clone solution that is simple and easy to understand?

Friday, March 4, 2011 8:45 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hi Mr. Naughton,

I don't have a solution .... because .... Dynamic Data ALREADY HAS ONE!!!!

Is so simple that you will laugh your lungs out loud: select a record from your grid, go into Edit mode and then make an Insertion and that's it! YOU HAVE CLONED with all validation, CRUD, displaying filters as dropdwonlists and all the things that you got from Dynamic Data right now!!!!

S o   s i m p l e    a n d    e a s y

By the way, I still believe that getting all info from selected records from any databound controld should be available by means of using a simple sentence. Dynamic Data does that in debug mode but all libraries are not available for you in real life situations (the level of protection or access is not intrended for you to use .... but for VS2010 in debug mode .... so siiiiilllllllyyiiiiishhh!

Why so much trouble in providing you that? They, MS people, alreday have it so they should deliver it to the world (normal people like me with IQ under 80)

Friday, March 4, 2011 1:12 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

Hi Carlos, somtimes it's anoying that some properties are internal but that's just the way it is we just have to work around it is all [:)]

Sunday, March 6, 2011 7:21 AM
  • User1043796333 posted

I was reading something you wrote (quoted below) and CSharp Bits on Cascading as an alternative to my custom controls. It works fine but I'd like to customize a little bit my labeling by adding a left side title for each dropdownlist. The value that I want to gather is shown in the VS2010 Watch 1 window like this:

(new System.Collections.Generic.System_DictionaryDebugView<int,string>((((System.Collections.Generic.SortedList<int,string>.ValueList)((parentColumns).Values)))._dict)).Items[0].Value

but I haven't found a way of writting the very same instruction using C# normal sentences. Is there an alternative way of getting this value?

UPDATE: Even tough I can get what I want with var _labelstringforcolumnname = Column.Name;

an exeption risen when I try to concatenate both literals using:

this.Controls.Add(new Literal() { Text = _labelstringforcolumnname + "<br />" }); 

Just before the filter is added to PlaceHolder1 i

n the page init.

Friday, April 1, 2011 10:54 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

Hi you may need to add ToString() to convert to string?

var _labelstringforcolumnname = Column.Name.ToString();

Friday, April 1, 2011 11:59 AM
  • User1043796333 posted

hi and thks

my bad. it doesn't work either

it shows the same column name for all dropdownlists and it works at the right hand side only.

i need to put the labels corresponding to each dropdownlist on the left side, where all other column names are displayed

makes sense?

btw, vertically aligment is ok

Friday, April 1, 2011 12:18 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

Ho Topolov, can you direct mail me and we can take this offline so I can workout what we need to do?

Friday, April 1, 2011 5:58 PM
  • User1043796333 posted

Ho Topolov, can you direct mail me and we can take this offline so I can workout what we need to do?

May I have your email address please?

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 8:46 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

Sorry Topolov, they have removed the link from the toolbar [:(] steve@notaclue.net

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 2:06 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

Here you go Sergei, just replace the current if statement with the code below;

if (i == parentColumns.Count - 1)
    {
    }

{
    }
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 5:10 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hi everyone,

Outrageously outrageous !!!!

Sorry that my contributions might seem to be written with a severe or unsympathetic style or tone, but it simply impossible to keep your mouth shut when it comes to see that all these guys working in Development Dynamic Data Team seem to be living in their very own world and that our requests [as expressed implicitly in so many (alarmingly decaying number now) silly questions about the way in which Dynamic Data should work or in the way in which Dynamic Data should help to solve problems, not create them] should be answered and that proper tools and documentation should be available.

e.g.: cascading was offered around 2008 and we are still waiting. Documentation on Dynamic Data was offered buy a Microsoft kind of medium level managerial position in this forum about a year ago and we are still waiting.

So, what’s the fuss with all of this? RECKLESSLY from their part.

They did well putting away all those caveman videos BUT they are going backwards now. What was once taught now is simply gone …. Not improved, which is the way it should have been!!!!

Now you don’t see MetaData but JQuery for defining the usage o a custom control (UIHint was once enough)

MY OPINION IS THAT PLURALSIGHT HAS COME TO EMULATE ORACLE’S TREND: MERCHANDISE TRAININGS BY THIRD PARTIES INSTEAD OF PROVIDING PROPER DOCUMENTS AND SOURCES FROM THE MANUFACTURER

At the end is business: you want to learn … ok … I’ll give you a little bit of it …. Just TASTE IT!!   … …

… …. C’mon ! don’t tell  me you want more, more complete, more detailed, more practical, more elaborated, more knowledge, more hints, more practical examples, more samples … more … ….mMore …. ….aAnd more of anything else????

DO YOU WANT ???? please ssay yes !!!!!

… ….. If the answer is YES !!!! then …..

GO AND PAY FOR IT ….

Friday, June 3, 2011 10:29 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

Hi Carlod, could you just start a new thread instead of hijacking someone elses thread please?

Friday, June 3, 2011 10:37 AM
  • User1043796333 posted

This is like a potpourri question but sure there are many answers here. Also there are many unsolved situations

Anyhow: lengthy but helpful

Go for it Carlod

Thursday, June 9, 2011 4:54 PM