none
Works with tool still reports errors..... RRS feed

Answers

  • Did some more testing while I was waiting for feedback from MS and I seem to have found the problem, Regional Settings. The problem is the "Decimal symbol". In Norway we use a comma. If I change it to a period like the US settings have, it works.

    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 5:25 PM

All replies

  • I'm not sure if this is relevant or not:

     

    After the prerequisite check is finished, I click "View Report" and a few files are created in:

    C:\Users\Public\Documents\<TestName>\Reports\Files\

     

    The file <TestName>_LogFile always contain this:

     

    05.02.2008 16:25:03 :: Finishing "PostAction" for step "ResumeScreen"
    05.02.2008 16:25:04 :: Start "Preconditions" for step "DiscoverScreen"
    05.02.2008 16:25:04 :: Start "Action" for step "DiscoverScreen"
    05.02.2008 16:25:04 :: Finishing "Action" for step "DiscoverScreen"
    05.02.2008 16:25:05 :: Finishing "Preconditions" for step "DiscoverScreen"
    05.02.2008 16:25:17 :: Error message : Not found 
        at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
       at System.Management.ManagementObject.Initialize(Boolean getObject)
       at System.Management.ManagementBaseObject.get_wbemObject()
       at System.Management.ManagementBaseObject.get_ClassName()
       at System.Management.ManagementClass.GetInstances(EnumerationOptions options)
       at Microsoft.WorksWith.Utility.MachineInformation.FillServerRoles()

    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 3:34 PM
  • My problem in the thread you mention was due to a non-ntfs partition created by the computer manufacturer. This partition was the first on my disk and I had installed Server 2008 RC0 on a second ntfs partition.

     

    MS couldn't reproduce the situation, but the non-ntfs partition was the only difference that we could identify in our setups.

    So I deleted all partitions, created one ntfs partition and reinstalled the OS. Works with Tool now reported Pass.

    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 11:53 AM
  • Do you have any other partitions on your drive?

     

    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 2:03 PM
  • No, no other partitions. We've tried on both a VmWare machine and a physical box, but we get the same problem.

    Thursday, February 7, 2008 9:01 AM
  • Are you adding roles to the base installation? The log info seems to indicate a problem with the server roles.

     

    What kind of hardware setup do you have?

     

    We also had a hard time trying to figure out why we experienced this. MS was not able to reproduce the error even with similar partition setups and configuration of Windows Server. That could indicate that differences in the actual hardware could cause the problem.

     

    With more detail on your system perhaps Microsoft could tune in and give some thoughts on the issue?
    Friday, February 8, 2008 9:20 AM
  • Oh, sorry for any confusion here, "Piano" was me signed in with a different Live account

     

    Friday, February 8, 2008 9:36 AM
  • I've tried to install 2008 on a VmWare machine running on a HP xw4400 Workstation. Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz. I've also tried to install 2008 directly on the same machine, but the result is the same.

     

    The only roles I've added is File Services and Web Server (IIS).

     

    >>With more detail on your system perhaps

    >>Microsoft could tune in and give some thoughts on the issue?

     

    That would be nice. It was actually Microsoft Norway that approached us and asked us to do this.

     

    If find it strange that the initial dialog shows that everything is OK but the report shows something different. I would think that Microsoft should be able to figure out why I get two different results.

     

    Monday, February 11, 2008 11:30 AM
  • Hi Frank

    Thank you for reporting this issue.

    Unfortunately we haven't been able to reproduce this issue yet in our test environment.

     

    May be you could help us narrow down this issue with more information on your configuration.

    Can you take this thread offline and send me a note at wslogofb@microsoft.com?

    On the computer where this issue repros, please take a screenshot of your disk partitions (Server manager->Disk management) and send it to me. Thanks in advance.

     

    Peter - Thank you for sharing your thoughts and findings on this thread. If you find anything else relating to this issue please continue to post!

     

    Thanks,

    [Venkat]

     

     

    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:05 AM
  • Great. I'll contact you directly

     

    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 10:51 AM
  • Did some more testing while I was waiting for feedback from MS and I seem to have found the problem, Regional Settings. The problem is the "Decimal symbol". In Norway we use a comma. If I change it to a period like the US settings have, it works.

    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 5:25 PM
  • Hi Frank

    Many thanks for sharing this information.

    We could reproduce this issue with a non US regional setting.

     

    We will schedule a fix for this on our next update to the Works with Tool.

    Good luck with your current test pass.

    Thanks,

    [Venkat]

     

    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 6:43 AM