none
split database on online server RRS feed

• Question

• i'm new in splitting databases and multiuserenvironment

I read that microsoft suggests to split a database, to improve speed.

But my client is on an online server (www.everyware.be), so if the users want to access the database, it goes via the internet.

my question is , does splitting improve speed then ? and do i put the frontend on their harddisk , or is that no use ?

Sunday, April 24, 2016 7:58 AM

Answers

• In Access, you don't split the database in itself, you split into frontend and backend where the frontend is the code running on each user's computer and the backend is the database everyone connects to. In your case the database is already the backend so you don't need to do anything further. If speed is slow for everyone it has to do with your backend www.everyware.be but that's another story ....

Best regards, George

• Marked as answer by tekoko10 Sunday, April 24, 2016 1:18 PM
    Sunday, April 24, 2016 11:30 AM
  • Only if you suspect performance error on the backend but to put it short: No!

Best regards, George

• Edited by George.B.Summers Sunday, April 24, 2016 12:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by tekoko10 Sunday, April 24, 2016 1:17 PM
    Sunday, April 24, 2016 12:23 PM

All replies

• In Access, you don't split the database in itself, you split into frontend and backend where the frontend is the code running on each user's computer and the backend is the database everyone connects to. In your case the database is already the backend so you don't need to do anything further. If speed is slow for everyone it has to do with your backend www.everyware.be but that's another story ....

Best regards, George

• Marked as answer by tekoko10 Sunday, April 24, 2016 1:18 PM
    Sunday, April 24, 2016 11:30 AM
  • Thans George, so splitsing up is not interesting in that case ?
    Sunday, April 24, 2016 12:21 PM
  • Only if you suspect performance error on the backend but to put it short: No!

Best regards, George

• Edited by George.B.Summers Sunday, April 24, 2016 12:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by tekoko10 Sunday, April 24, 2016 1:17 PM
    Sunday, April 24, 2016 12:23 PM