none
Deploying .NET 2 WinForms App to x86 and x64 Windows RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We're building a very simple WinForms app using .NET Framework v2 (Gold) that is to be available for Windows 2000 SP3+, Windows XP+ and Windows Vista+.

I'm using WiX to build an MSI together with the VS2008 bootstrapper which includes .NET Framework v2 and Windows Installer v3.1 as pre-requisites. Now only the x86 version of the pre-reqs is included. I need to able to deploy this app to Windows XP x64 machines too so I don't know if that is a problem?

Do I actually need to deploy the x64 version of the Framework? If so, any advice on how? Or, can the x86 version of the Framework setup install on Windows XP x64 which will in turn will just mean my WinForms app will run as 32-bit?

I only run 32-bit here so I have limited opportunity for testing x64 deployments unfortunately.

Ben

SoftFooding - www.softfooding.com
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:22 PM

Answers

• if you don't do anything about this, your app will run as x86 on x86 hardware and as x64 on x64 hardware. thus, on xp 64, you'll need to deploy the x64 version of .net.

however, if you don't care for a x64 version of your app, you can make your app  a x86 version only in the project properties. if its x86 only, it will run as a 32bit app ontop of xp64 and won't need the 64bit framework.

WM_HOPWETHISHELPS
    -thomas woelfer

http://www.die.de/blog
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Wednesday, March 4, 2009 2:54 AM
    Friday, February 27, 2009 10:14 AM