named pipes provider: could not open a connection to sql server 53 RRS feed

• Question

• I encountered the following error:

named pipes provider: could not open a connection to sql server 53.

this error was raised for some 15 minutes and it seemed that the database operation was halted during that time.

surprisingly, this error was written in the application error log table through same connection in the same sql server.

i checked the sql server error log but no error was logged.

i could not figure out. please help.

Wednesday, April 8, 2020 3:30 PM

All replies

• And it is even more difficult for use to figure out, since we don't have access to your environment. For all I care, the access problem might have been with another instance that the error was logged to. It could also have been a network issue where the DNS was down and the server could not be found. (But that permitted existing connections to be alive.) Or...

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Wednesday, April 8, 2020 9:00 PM
  • Hi Curendra,

The error message that you give is too less. Could you please share us more error information or related information about your issue? 

By the way, we can follow the steps from below document when troubleshooting the SQL server connection issues.

Troubleshoot connecting to the SQL Server Database Engine
    Resolving could not open a connection to SQL Server errors

Hope this could help you.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 9, 2020 2:50 AM
  • the situation seems that the above error is encountered but it still that error is written in the custom error log table.

on googling i found something like sql server browser service could have been stopped. i am not familiar with that. does that really have anything to do? if yes can we view its log?

Thursday, April 9, 2020 3:23 AM
  • on googling i found something like sql server browser service could have been stopped. i am not familiar with that. does that really have anything to do? if yes can we view its log?

As I said, there are a multitude of possible reasons. And, yes, if this is a named instance and clients are connecting by using that name, connection would fail if the browser service was stopped. But the issue could also be somewhere in the network, for instance a DNS service being down.

To see if the browser service was stopped, you could check the Windows eventlog for this period, as starting and stopping of services are logged here.

Thursday, April 9, 2020 6:40 AM
  • i checked sql server error logs and windows server error logs but nothing relevant found.

also the browser service is disabled which is so since beginning.

could this be error of linked server?

Thursday, April 9, 2020 6:57 AM
  • i checked sql server error logs and windows server error logs but nothing relevant found.

also the browser service is disabled which is so since beginning.

could this be error of linked server?

Hi Curendra,

If your SQL server is an named instance, you need to start the browser service. I suggest you check the documents that I offered above to troubleshoot SQL server connection issue.

Best regards,
    Cathy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 9, 2020 8:04 AM
  • sql server is not named instance. connection protocol used is tcp/ip. it has always been the same. this error was recorded yesterday for 15 mins only.
    Thursday, April 9, 2020 8:46 AM
  • sql server is not named instance. connection protocol used is tcp/ip. it has always been the same. this error was recorded yesterday for 15 mins only.
    If it is not a named instance, it was not the browser service. But what it actually was - no one here will be able to tell you. We don't know your environment, nor do we have access to it.

Thursday, April 9, 2020 10:42 AM
  • Hi Curendra,

As Erland mentioned, the useful information is too less, and we can’t access your environment. Did you check your network?

By the way, maybe you can ask professional engineer for help, they can access your environment,  and they will deal with your problem separately and confidentially. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/assistedsupportproducts    

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support

Friday, April 10, 2020 7:03 AM