cnf.FilterType = CM_NOTIFY_FILTER_TYPE_DEVICEINTERFACE;
        cnf.Reserved = 0;
        cnf.u.DeviceInterface.ClassGuid = GUID_DEVINTERFACE_USB_DEVICE;

CM_Register_Notification(
            &cnf,
            NULL,
            PcmNotifyCallback,
            &hcmCtx);

When I plug in a USB drive, my callback function PcmNotifyCallback is called, and I can open the device with CreateFile:

DWORD CALLBACK PcmNotifyCallback(
        _In_ HCMNOTIFICATION hNotify,
        _In_opt_ PVOID context,
        _In_ CM_NOTIFY_ACTION action,
        _In_reads_bytes_(EventDataSize) PCM_NOTIFY_EVENT_DATA eventData,
        _In_ DWORD eventDataSize)
    {
        HANDLE hVolume;
        hVolume = CreateFile(
            eventData->u.DeviceInterface.SymbolicLink,
            GENERIC_READ | GENERIC_WRITE,
            FILE_SHARE_READ | FILE_SHARE_WRITE,
            NULL,
            OPEN_EXISTING,
            NULL);
    }

However, I can't perform any of the storage IOCTLs from that HANDLE. I've tried all of the following and neither of them works (DeviceIoControl returns FALSE).

- IOCTL_STORAGE_GET_DEVICE_NUMBER

- FSCTL_LOCK_VOLUME

- FSCTL_DISMOUNT_VOLUME

- IOCTL_STORAGE_MEDIA_REMOVAL

- IOCTL_STORAGE_EJECT_MEDIA

What I want to do is to eject some USB devices as soon as they arrive. I've seen many programs on the Internet that do this, but most of them (all?) take a drive letter. But when my callback is called what I get is a symlink to the device, something like: "\\?\USB#VID_090C&PID_1000#1111111111111111111111#{xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx}". Is there any way to accomplish what I want in this context (PnP callback)?

Thursday, September 24, 2015 3:23 PM

Answers

• GUID_DEVINTERFACE_USB_DEVICE is a generic usb device interface, it is not a storage interface. all of the IOCTLs you list are for a disks and volumes. When you say "eject", what specifically do you mean in the context of a generic usb device? that it is not started // does not work?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 24, 2015 4:31 PM

All replies

• GUID_DEVINTERFACE_USB_DEVICE is a generic usb device interface, it is not a storage interface. all of the IOCTLs you list are for a disks and volumes. When you say "eject", what specifically do you mean in the context of a generic usb device? that it is not started // does not work?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 24, 2015 4:31 PM

What I mean with "eject" is the same effect as "safely removing a USB drive". That's what I want to achieve programmatically. As I said, there are thousands of programs out there that do that. But I want to be notified whenever a mass storage USB drive is plugged in. I'm not really sure whether the context in which I should do this is that of a generic USB device. Maybe I'm in a too low level? You say that GUID_DEVINTERFACE_USB_DEVICE is a generic USB device, not a storage one. Maybe I should listen for other more specific kind GUID? If so, which GUIDs are available?

Thanks.

Friday, September 25, 2015 12:01 PM
  • guid_devinterface_disk would represent all disks. from that instance you can query the storage type and filter on usb. you request safely removing a usb drive using CM APIs, you don't need to send an IOCTL or open a handle.

Friday, September 25, 2015 5:15 PM