Timeline Field RRS feed

• Question

• There has to be a field which flags a task for inclusion in the Timeline but I am unable to spot it. Please advise.

Thanks

Mike
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:11 AM

Answers

• There isn't a field that tells you whether a task is on the timeline. You can have multiple timeline views so a simple yes/no field wouldn't really work.

Thanks,
    Heather
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 6:20 PM

All replies

• There is a check box in the General tab of the Task Information Dialog Box: [ ] Display on Timeline

To add all the tasks at once, click Select All button and then;
    - click Add to Timeline on the Task tab (Properties group).
    - or check Display on Timeline box in Multiple Task Information Dialog Box.

Regards,
    Ismet Kocaman

• Edited by Ismet Kocaman Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:43 AM Formatting text - again
    • Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:47 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Sleekstone Thursday, March 18, 2010 5:03 PM
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:37 AM
  • Hi Ismet

I understand that. I want to make use of that attribute, say as a filter in a Gantt view, or to identify those records for use in a Visio timeline. However it seems pretty well hidden.

rgds

Mike
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 5:06 PM
  • I guess you are looking for a Yes/No field in task category. Yes, I've considered that possibility and created a macro while timelining tasks. Macros usually reveal if there is a field available. There seems none available. I've also checked several posts for the new fields added with Project 2010 and scrolled the field list all the way down to see an obvious field name: no luck !. There seems no solution other than using VBA and timeline methods if there exists one.
    Check: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms474284(office.14).aspx

Hopefully someone from the team should post a better answer soon.

Regards,
    Ismet Kocaman
    • Edited by Ismet Kocaman Thursday, March 18, 2010 5:40 PM Added URL
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 5:27 PM
  • There isn't a field that tells you whether a task is on the timeline. You can have multiple timeline views so a simple yes/no field wouldn't really work.

Thanks,
    Heather
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 6:20 PM
  • Hi Heather

It had not occurred to me that you could have more than one timeline view. The way you define the view presumably means it has to be local and not enterprise. I guess it is feasible to run a macro and set up a timeline view based on an enterprise attribute so projects could present summary status in a standard way.

rgds

Mike

Monday, March 22, 2010 10:04 AM
  • Thanks Heather.  That was not a very good answer.  Microsoft Project has a database backend.  Multiple timelines would simply be represented by multiple names, such as with the Project field. And since the Timeline field is in the General tab of the Task Information dialog box, it makes no sense that it is not available.  The answer is appears to be that Microsoft is not going to do this.  The product is what it is.  Why not just tell the truth?
    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 7:21 PM
  • of course it could work - used in conjunction with other fields or a prefix, ie timeline 1, timeline 2 - easy peasy.

The best workaround would be to use a text field and create it yourself without Microsoft's help

Friday, February 21, 2020 5:33 AM
  • A text field would do the job.  not just yes not but 'timeline 1, timeline 2, etc'
    Friday, February 21, 2020 5:34 AM