none
I just want to show a report....nothing fancy just to get it to work HELP RRS feed

• Question

• I have a site I am creating in VB 2008 with SQL Express 2008. I have created a report and am having no luck for two weeks to get it to display.

I originally developed my site with VS 2008 and SQL Express 2005 without advanced services. This worked great. I basically had my site complete and was trying to figure out the best way to show some data for weekly reports. I was trying to just add a report to the project and the report viewer control and was having allot of trouble. Someone on another post suggested using SQL reporting services. I upgraded SQL Express 2005 to the advanced version with reporting services. After a week of upgrades, downgrades, reformats I finally was able to create a report, but hit the wall when I went to deploy the report.

After much trouble I finally was able to get the report deployed with SQL Express 2008 advanced only to read that VS 2008 does not work with SQL 2008 BI. So I tried to figure out a way to copy the report file that was created with SQL Express 2008 Business Intelligence developer but that is a bust so I thought that I would try to just recreate my report manually by adding a report to the project.

The first problem I have is the difference between the two ways even though they are both done in VS 2008. My report consists of a chart that is one dataset and 3 tables all tied to their own dataset giving me 4 total datasets for one report? Is it even possible to have more than one data set when creating a report in VS 2008? I cannot see how as I created two but when I add a control to the report it will only show one of the data sets.

I even tried to add a simple report with the report wizard and still nothing. The page loads and the report viewer is there but no data at all and no error. I'm not sure if there is anything missing in the code behind page load event but I'm banging my head up against the wall.

I truly do not even know what question to ask as I just want to show a report in my site.

Any help would be appreciated. Ideally I would like to be able to simply copy the report I created in SQL Express 2008 BI into my project to use but, I really cannot see how to copy the data source over as it does not seem to work and there are some extension differences which is frustrating as to why they would use different file extensions for the same objects.

Thank you,

Ty
    Monday, May 4, 2009 12:50 PM

Answers

• There are essentially two differant ways in which the ReportViewer control can be used, Local mode and Server mode; Brian Hartman has a very good post that explains the differant modes and there current compatability with the SQL Server 2008 RDL schema.

http://blogs.msdn.com/brianhartman/archive/2008/12/05/sql-server-2008-and-the-reportviewer-controls.aspx

Based on the description of what you are trying to accomplish it sounds like you want to use the ReportViewer control in Server mode against SQL Server Express Adv. the ReportViewer control will work against Express Adv 2008 in remote mode however RDL 2008 is not supported in local mode of the viewer. The confusion may be that if you have VS 2008 and BIDS 2008 installed you get two designers that output differant versions of RDL. BIDS 2008 will create reports that use the 2008 RDL schema that work with Reporting Services 2008; however these reports won't work with the ReportViewer in local mode. If you use the Visual Studio Report Designer (creates rdlc files) it creates reports that use the 2005 RDL schema, these reports will work in local mode with the ReportViewer; however the differance between RDL and RDLC is that you have to provide the data programmatically for an RDLC report.
    As far as supporting multiple datasets RDL and Reporting Services do support multiple DataSet definitions in a report however a single DataRegion or ReportItem (i.e. Table) can only be bound to a single data set at a time.

Matt Meyer, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

Monday, May 11, 2009 5:17 PM