locked
MS Access 2002~2003 All objects showing Owner as Engine RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi and Help. I have an old access db that has developed a bit of an issue. When trying to open the mdb file I get an error "

    ; no read permission on 'MSysAccessObjects' " 

    I have managed to bypass this by setting the Options/ View  hidden objects and System objects both to being ticked.  This then shows all table and half the querys being greyed out .  Right clicking on one of these objects shows Owner: Engine   and Attributes: Hidden being ticked.

    Is there anyway possable to alter the object properties so Owner is set to user and they are no longer hidden.  I only wish to do this with the user created objects, not the "MSys*" tables.

     

    Please advise

    Nick

    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:35 PM

Answers

  • Nick,

    There is at least a chance that this is a corrupted database where the mSysAccessObjects table has either been damaged or deliberately tampered with.

    BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE, make a BACKUP COPY of this database if you have not yet done so.

    You may want to seek out some 3rd-party utilities online that can attempt to repair/recover the database objects for you.

    Is this a secured database application? (password-protected and/or with a .mdw file in use?)


    Mark Burns, MCAD, MCP
    Sr. Microsoft Access Analyst/Developer
    Manager LinkedIn.Com community: Professional Microsoft Access Developers Network (PMADN)
    • Marked as answer by nick appleby Tuesday, February 1, 2011 6:41 PM
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 5:37 PM

All replies

  • Nick,

    There is at least a chance that this is a corrupted database where the mSysAccessObjects table has either been damaged or deliberately tampered with.

    BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE, make a BACKUP COPY of this database if you have not yet done so.

    You may want to seek out some 3rd-party utilities online that can attempt to repair/recover the database objects for you.

    Is this a secured database application? (password-protected and/or with a .mdw file in use?)


    Mark Burns, MCAD, MCP
    Sr. Microsoft Access Analyst/Developer
    Manager LinkedIn.Com community: Professional Microsoft Access Developers Network (PMADN)
    • Marked as answer by nick appleby Tuesday, February 1, 2011 6:41 PM
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Hi Mark

    Backup was the first thing I did. There isn't any password on the dbso that should not be too much of a concern.

     

    Thanks

    Nick

    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 8:04 PM
  • Hi Nick,

     

    I agree with Mark, it sounds like your database could be corrupt, had user level security implemented on it or someone modified the permissions of these objects.  You could try creating a new database and then import all of the objects from this database into that one. If that fails, you may have to try and find a backup of the database file or as Mark mentioned see if you can find a 3<sup>rd</sup> party program to recover the file.

     

    Best Regards,

    Nathan Ost

    Microsoft Online Community Support


    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, January 28, 2011 8:06 PM