none
Enable software mirroring (RAID 1) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'd like to mirror our hard drive with Windows 7 embedded.  But, the option to setup a mirror drive is always greyed out.   So, my first question is if this is possible?  And if there is a specific package that is needed.  The Data Integrity packages are already included and so are the System Services -> File System packages.  Not sure if there is something else needed or if anyone else has come across this problem. 

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 6:43 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the response.  I'm not sure if there is a RAID driver for the software implementation.  There's not a RAID folder and neither the System folder nor the Diskdrive folder contain anything that's obvious.  So, I must have it included in one of the default driver packages if there is one.

After more experimentation, I did get this to work.  Solution was to

1. Convert first (boot) disk from a basic disk to a dynamic disk
    2. With the second disk unpartitioned, convert it to a dynamic disk
    3. Right click on boot partition and "Add Mirror...".  This gave the option to assign the mirror to disk 1.

We've experimented with setting up the dynamic disks before, but the Add Mirror option never became active.   Maybe it was converting the second disk to dynamic while it was unpartitioned.

• Marked as answer by doobop Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:44 PM
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:44 PM

All replies

• Did you include the appropriate RAID driver from the driver packages?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 1:48 AM
  • Thanks for the response.  I'm not sure if there is a RAID driver for the software implementation.  There's not a RAID folder and neither the System folder nor the Diskdrive folder contain anything that's obvious.  So, I must have it included in one of the default driver packages if there is one.

After more experimentation, I did get this to work.  Solution was to

1. Convert first (boot) disk from a basic disk to a dynamic disk
    2. With the second disk unpartitioned, convert it to a dynamic disk
    3. Right click on boot partition and "Add Mirror...".  This gave the option to assign the mirror to disk 1.

We've experimented with setting up the dynamic disks before, but the Add Mirror option never became active.   Maybe it was converting the second disk to dynamic while it was unpartitioned.

• Marked as answer by doobop Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:44 PM
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:44 PM