Isolated shell - during project upgrade need to _add_ a file, how to tell SCC ? RRS feed

• Question

• Environment:
    VSX-2010 isolated shell, custom project system using MPF

Scenario:
    Consider during the project upgrade process for a solution/project under source code control (SCC)...
    (remember - during upgrade, the individual projects are _not_ loaded into the IDE yet - all that factory upgrade stuff)

I can check out files using the call to:

IVsQueryEditQuerySave2.QueryEditFiles(...)
    with QEF_AllowUnopenedProjects

However, there is a condition where I want the upgrade process to create and _add_ a new file to the project.

Updating the project file is easy enough, but - how do I add this new file to the list of files to check-in ??

Regards,
    Reed Shilts

Thursday, September 16, 2010 6:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Reed,

The only way I can think of to handle this issue, would be to first checkout the project file, add the new file to the project, Then select the updated/new items in the Solution Explorer (so as to enable the command) and then execute the File.CheckInSilent command.

MVP Carlos Quintero has a good write up describing how to do this in his article entitled:

HOWTO: Interact with a source code control (SCC) provider from a Visual Studio add-in

It would be nice if we had a CheckIn method on the IDE's SourceControl automation method, but we don't seem to have anything like that available.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 4:03 AM