VS 2012 -- WIN 7 -- No Windows Phone Dev RRS feed

• Question

• I don't see any way to develop Windows Phone application using VS 2012 on a Windows 7 machine. Not even Windows Phone 7 applications. Are you serious? Will you guys be releasing another SDK for development on Windows 7 machines. This is ridiculous to not be able to at least build Windows Phone 7 application. I'll not bundling Windows Phone 7 and 8 together. I'm specifically referring to WP7 development. How can you possibly release VS 2012  on Windows 7 and not be able to write software for WP7? This is becoming annoying to say the least.

Jstun

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:29 PM

All replies

• You can still use the 7.1 SDK on Windows 7 to create Windows Phone 7/.5 apps:

WP SDK

The only limitation you have on Windows 7 is that you can't use the new SDK for Windows Phone 8 because it requires Windows 8 to run.

Windows 8 upgrade is cheap. It's great. It makes sense to use Windows 8 if you want to develop apps for Windows Phone 8 (plus you can re-use your code as a Windows 8 app).

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:59 PM
  • Apparently you didn't read my question correctly. I know that I can develop Windows Phone 8 apps on Windows 8. VS 2012 is the latest IDE from Microsoft and you can't develop any thing related to Windows Phone on a Windows 7 machine using VS 2012. I know that I can develop Windows Phone 7 applications using VS 2010 but why not the latest IDE which contains new features that make development a whole lot easier. Thanks for you reply though.

Jstun

Thursday, November 1, 2012 12:04 AM

• OK, I misread the 'VS2012' bit in your first sentence, sorry about that.

If you want to make WP7 apps VS2010 has everything you need. I believe there are real technical limitations that prevent VS2012 working on Windows 7 (the emulator works differently to the one in VS2010). I don't think it's just an arbitrary limitation.

I think it's easily worth the upgrade to Windows 8 if you want to use VS2012. At the very least you have the option of maybe getting the 90-day Windows 8 trial and dual booting it. That will let you try it out (including VS2012) without losing your Windows 7 install.

Thursday, November 1, 2012 2:30 AM
  • although the original question states that upgrading to windows8 is not desirable, a word of caution if you do want to upgrade and run the WP8 emulator (because you don't have a WP8 physical device).

because of the changes to the way the emulator works in VS2010 vs VS2012, your computer needs to have a "Hardware Assisted Virtualisation" (HAV) and "Second Level Address Translation" (SLAT) compatible processor.

All/most of the "newer" AMD and Intel processors have them, but you can check by running this tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=592

I just got caught out. Having run Windows 8 for 6 months I thought I was pretty safe. Having installed VS2012 and WP8 SDK I can't run any emulators since my Intel Core Duo supports HAV but not SLAT. Seems that I'm MUST upgrade my trusty old laptop for a newer i5/i7 processors!

• Edited by mark_mann Wednesday, December 19, 2012 10:28 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 10:24 AM