Bing Spell check RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying out the spell check API to replace another solution we use for spell checking. I cant get this to work, at all, hence I ask in this forum for guidance.

I have tried both from C# and the demo site to run some very simple spell checks with Bing Spell check v7.

What I find intriguing is that often many spelling errors are completely ignored, but if I cut that sentence and spell check only that, the error is found.

So, is there anywhere a recommended length for spell checking that will always work? Or is this spell check not intended to be used for spell checks of text chunks, only word by word?

I have tried both Proof and Spell, and if anything, Proof seems to be slightly more reliable.

Friday, November 23, 2018 2:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I tried the same samples with you, can you please check your result again? Please see my screenshots.

Please tell me if you have a different result.

Regards,

Yutong

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 7:58 PM
  • Hi 

All the details regarding the Bing Spell Check APO are here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cognitive-services/bing-spell-check/proof-text

• maximum supported query length is as follows
      • 130 characters for the following language codes: en, de, es, fr, pl, pt, sv, ru, nl, nb, tr-tr, it, zh, ko.
      • 65 characters for all others.
        If the query exceeds the max length, the query and its results will not be altered.
    • The Spell mode does not support square bracket characters ([ and ]) in queries, and may cause inconsistent results. We recommend removing them from your queries when using the Spell mode.

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 8:27 PM
  • Hi Lee,

ok but in the same page it is written:
    The default mode is Proof. The Proof spelling mode provides the most comprehensive checks, adding capitalization, basic punctuation, and other features to aid document creation. but it is available only in the en-US (English-United States), es-ES(Spanish), pt-BR(Portuguese) markets (Note: only in beta version for Spanish and Portuguese). For all other markets, set the mode query parameter to Spell. 

NOTE: If the length of query text exceeds 4096, it will be truncated to 4096 characters, then get processed.

I have also noticed that line breaks, double quotes, brackets and probably others can't be part of the text. I just find that strange since what is described tells me The "Proof" mode was intended to proofread documennts and not just word by word or short phrases. 

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:15 PM