How would you do this? (User controlled controls) RRS feed

• Question

• User-1219670289 posted

Ok here is my mission.  I am trying to create an asp.net app that would allow the user to build their own data entry form and add their type of field and position it on a page etc...  How would you accomplish this?  This is tough to explain on here so here is an example of what I'm trying to accomplish.

http://www.dataillusion.com/feedbackserver/ScreenCasts.aspx - Click on Free Form Builder Screencast

How did they do that?  Do you think this is even possible in .NET?  If you could point me in the right direction here or some resources that would be awesome.

And while we are at it, check this out: http://www.dataillusion.com/feedbackserver/ScreenCasts.aspx - Click on the Website Integration Screencast

How do they embedd their code into another webpage and have it run inside of the page like that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:31 PM

Answers

• User377791177 posted

You can definitely make that application, If u look at the h/w & s/w requirement page , it appears that they've a normal asp.net application with very limited server side functionality. The site will be carrying a few aspx pages and some big client side componenets written either in silverlight  or flash (most probably), so all that on the fly UI designing is being done with that and to access the database and other stuff they've set up a small web application,

But actually its some client side components doing the work.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 11:41 PM

All replies

• User377791177 posted

You can definitely make that application, If u look at the h/w & s/w requirement page , it appears that they've a normal asp.net application with very limited server side functionality. The site will be carrying a few aspx pages and some big client side componenets written either in silverlight  or flash (most probably), so all that on the fly UI designing is being done with that and to access the database and other stuff they've set up a small web application,

But actually its some client side components doing the work.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 11:41 PM
  • User-1226263862 posted

Ok here is my mission.  I am trying to create an asp.net app that would allow the user to build their own data entry form and add their type of field and position it on a page etc... 

Why recreate the wheel?  You have already found a product which will allow you to do this?

Do you think this is even possible in .NET?

If you read the documentation, that software is an ASP.NET product.

How do they embedd their code into another webpage and have it run inside of the page like that?

The beauty of user controls, web parts, and web services...

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 11:42 PM