none
SQL Server was unable to communicate with the LaunchPad service

Question

• I am unable to run R scripts in SQL Server 2016 Service Pack 1 on Windows 10.

When I run:

exec sp_execute_external_script  
         @language =N'R',    
         @script=N'OutputDataSet<-InputDataSet',      
         @input_data_1 =N'select 1 as hello'    
         with result sets (([hello] int not null));    
       go    

I get the message

Msg 39011, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
       SQL Server was unable to communicate with the LaunchPad service. Please verify the configuration of the service.  
       Msg 11536, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
       EXECUTE statement failed because its WITH RESULT SETS clause specified 1 result set(s), but the statement only sent 0 result    set(s) at run time.

Both Windows Services and SQL Server Configuration Manager report that Launchpad is running.

"Exec sp_configure 'external scripts enabled'" reports 1

The SQLRUserGroup has log-on privileges.

John Kane

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 7:35 PM

All replies

• Hi JJ Kane,

Could you please share more information to us for analysis? We want to know the account of SQL Server Service  and the account of Launchpad Service. You can check it in SQL Server Configuration Manager (SSCM). Besides, have you ever used the R Service of other release on this machine before? For example, SQL Server 2016 CTP or other release. What's the type of instance, default instance or named instance? Besides, please share the rlauncher.config file to us, this file should be at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL13.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn

SQL Server will use Trusted Launchpad to run R jobs, we will meet the error message 'SQL Server was unable to communicate with the LaunchPad service. Please verify the configuration of the service' when SQL Server cannot connect with LaunchPad service.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 3:15 AM
  • The service account of the LaunchPad service needs to be a local admin.

Check if the service account is member of the local Administrators group.

Monday, September 3, 2018 3:38 PM
  • BTW Balazs - gave you a vote up because you point me in the right direction.

The right answer may be to provide the following permissions using the secpol.msc

• Log on as a service (SeServiceLogonRight)
    • Replace a process-level token (SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege)
    • Bypass traverse checking (SeChangeNotifyPrivilege)
    • Adjust memory quotas for a process (SeIncreaseQuotaSizePrivilege)

After checking all of the above, the error for me remains:

"Unable to launch the runtime. ErrorCode 0x80070490: 1168(Element not found.)"

I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise v1803 over Business Essentials 2016 as a domain account on SQL Server Enterprise 2017 using the 17.9 version of SSMS.  However, the message I receive is because I setup only the Database Engine and have yet to put the R and Python on the machine.

Code generating the error is

EXEC sp_execute_external_script @language = N'Python', 
    @script = N'print(3+4)'

Long and Short of this - there is a great deal of pitfalls and hopefully most are listed here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/advanced-analytics/install/sql-r-services-windows-install?view=sql-server-2017

R, J

8 hours 12 minutes ago