none
Install updated SSL certificate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks --

I'm not a Windows native, so I may not ask things correctly ... I hope this question is in the right forum!

At my work, we have one web interface that runs off a Windows box. We received a notice that the InCommon SSL certificate for the domain was expiring.

My coworker who managed this in the past has left but left me a set of notes, and I am following them.

So far I have successfully downloaded the new certificate, converted the .cer to a .pfx and added it to the Certificate Store.

The next step in the notes is "Install on IIS" ... and that's it! I've Googled this -- many of the pages I've looked at indicate I need to use IIS Manager, locate the certificate using the "Server Certificates" icon, and choose "Complete Certificate Request" in the right hand pane. I am able to locate the certificate, but when I attempt to complete the request I run into an "Access Denied" error.

First, is "complete the request" what I really want to do in this case? It doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, since it seems the request IS complete, and that we've got the response -- which is the updated certificate.

If this is NOT what I want to do, how do I go about installing the new certificate to IIS? My guess is it's something via the "SSL Settings" icon in IIS Manager, but the first question I'm asked when I click this is "Client certificates: Ignore / Accept / Require." I ... don't know how I should respond there, and I don't want to do anything irreversible.

Apologies if this is all dunderheaded stuff. I'd appreciate any guidance.

Thanks,

Glenn

Friday, March 20, 2020 12:57 PM

All replies

• I figured this out. I should always dig further before posting to forums, because I can typically figure things out.

Thanks to anyone who read this.

Saturday, March 21, 2020 5:05 PM