App deployment for test purpose

Question

• Hi everyone,

I have been developing an app during the last 8 months and now it's the time to make it tested by all stakeholders. My problem is that everyday people (business analysts, designers, managers etc..) are coming to my desk because they can't deploy the build them self since they are not really techies. I provided them the app package with the powershell script, they just have to right click on it and execute it and every 30 days, I have to enter my developer account to unlock the device. 

I wanted to know if there is a better way to deploy an app internally for test purpose only because at the moment I almost spend half of my time just for deploying the app on devices.

Anyone has already faced this situation?

Thanks,

Sebastien

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:54 AM

Answers

• you can get a developer license with any microsoft account. it isnt needed that the microsoft has a dev.windows.com account.

For testing this is the best way to go. otherwise you have to enable sideloading.

To enable sideloading you need to buy those licenses OR if all the devices are running windows 8 Enterprise, then you can enable sideloading in the group policies

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:33 AM

All replies

• If you have side-loading licenses, this won't occur. But you have to pay for them, and I assume that you don't already have them or you wouldn't be asking this question.

30 days should be plenty of time for testing.  To allow any longer would defeat the purpose of the license.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 12:46 PM
  • Thank you for your reply Matt. I didn't know the existence of side-loading licences, unfortunately we are not ready to pay 3000$ for 100$ licences, it's a big amount and we don't need that much licences and apparently we can't buy just a couple. Beside that, it's a little bit hard to understand that we have to pay extra licences to deploy our app on our machines.

Is there any other alternatives? Maybe I should open a new developer account and distribute the user/pass to everyone, so they can unlock their device them self.
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:53 PM
  • Wait, are you testing or deploying? You specifically asked about testing, now it sounds like you want to deploy your LOB app for permanent install.

You should consider uploading it to the Store, free, and only allow it to run with a passcode that you distribute.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:44 PM
  • Sorry I'm replying lately. I mean for testing in fact I mean deploying the app only inside our company for test purpose during our development cycle.

What do you exactly mean by adding a pass code to the app? Is it something at the app store level? The app will be visible then publicly on the store even if there is pass code, right? 

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:47 AM
  • you can get a developer license with any microsoft account. it isnt needed that the microsoft has a dev.windows.com account.

For testing this is the best way to go. otherwise you have to enable sideloading.

To enable sideloading you need to buy those licenses OR if all the devices are running windows 8 Enterprise, then you can enable sideloading in the group policies

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:33 AM