Volume tier % not working properly RRS feed

• Question

• Good day everyone here in MSDN forum,

First of all I would like to express my gratitude for the launching of Azure File Sync as well Azure Storage. They both are good addition in the vast growth of cloud technologies and portable environment.

However, I would like to report here that my % percentage volume file/data tiering is not functioning properly, as in regardless of how many % I have set in the Sync Group on my server B ( I have 2 registered servers in the Sync Group btw ), the data that is put into my other server A will be in my server B just as a shortcut/link/fade icon

Does it function this way ? I thought if I set the volume tier to 50% on my server B, data that I put to server A would still be in complete form in the server B UNTIL  server B volume reaches the 50% threshold..but it doesn't happen to be that way, since even though the threshold is yet to be filled, the data downloaded to server B is always shortcuts/have x mark

Any advice for this ?

Thursday, September 27, 2018 2:29 AM

All replies

• A sync group defines the sync topology for a set of files. Endpoints within a sync group are kept in sync with each other. A sync group must contain one cloud endpoint, which represents an Azure file share and one or more server endpoints. A server endpoint represents a path on registered server. A server can have server endpoints in multiple sync groups. You can create as many sync groups as you need to appropriately describe your desired sync topology.

A cloud endpoint is a pointer to an Azure file share. All server endpoints will sync with a cloud endpoint, making the cloud endpoint the hub. The storage account for the Azure file share must be located in the same region as the Storage Sync Service. The entirety of the Azure file share will be synced, with one exception: A special folder, comparable to the hidden "System Volume Information" folder on an NTFS volume, will be provisioned. This directory is called ".SystemShareInformation". It contains important sync metadata that will not sync to other endpoints. Do not use or delete it!

Volume Free Space
    : The amount of free space to reserve on the volume on which the server endpoint is located. For example, if volume free space is set to 50% on a volume that has a single server endpoint, roughly half the amount of data is tiered to Azure Files. Regardless of whether cloud tiering is enabled, your Azure file share always has a complete copy of the data in the sync group.

For more information, suggest you to refer
    Deploy Azure File Sync.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this answer was helpful, click “Mark as Answer” or “Up-Vote”. To provide additional feedback on your forum experience, click here

• Proposed as answer by VeeraGiri Babu Thursday, September 27, 2018 7:11 AM
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 7:10 AM
  • When you add Server B to the sync group, Azure File Sync will first sync the namespace (file metadata) to the server. Once the namespace is synced to the server, Azure File Sync will download files in the background until Server B reaches the free disk space threshold specified in the cloud tiering policy setting. If you're not seeing that behavior, please send me mail at jeffpatt at microsoft dot com so we can investigate further.

Thursday, September 27, 2018 3:49 PM