How to handle Idling event RRS feed

• Question

• So far I am only importing a small records set via Web service so I don't have problem such as Screen idling. What if I import a large record set thru web service that may be take more than say a few minutes, will the system turn on a lock screen?

This is what I do to prevent a lockscreen for above case and I don't know if this is ok?

I use a Ring Progress control to show up while importing large set of records. Turn it off after finishing.

If there is a Ring Progress control running without ANY user interaction with the screen, will the system consider this an "interaction" and thus will not turn on Lock Screen?

I need a solution as the user may start importing records and he may go somewhere in the middle of this task.

Saturday, February 1, 2014 3:47 AM

Answers

• No, interaction comes from the user. An app can flag itself as running video to prevent the screensaver, but that doesn't sound like an appropriate solution for your scenario.

As I understand it, the problem you want to solve is the download stopping. Your users want to start the download and have it complete even if they walk away from the app. The right way to solve this is to use the BackgroundDownloader so the download will continue in the background. The unattended system will still lock so that unapproved people cannot use it.

Alternatively, if this is a kiosk system that shouldn't lock at all then that it should be set up that way by the administrator when the system is configured.

--Rob

Thursday, February 6, 2014 5:02 PM
  • Please see the links in my previous reply for documentation and sample code on BackgroundDownloader.

Also see Downloading a file using Background Transfer and the Background Transfer Download  sample .

Friday, February 7, 2014 5:17 PM

All replies

• Why is this a problem? If the user walks away then it's appropriate for the system to lock and the monitor to shut off.

The only reason to override this is if the system is likely to misidentify an engaged user as away. For example, if the app is playing a video the user is likely to watch without providing input, so the system should stay awake to play the video.

In your case, the user isn't invested in the progress bar and may reasonably go away and return later. If the system locks the user will not be surprised and can unlock it.

If you are downloading large records and it may take a while then consider using a BackgroundDownloader so that the download will continue even if the user switches away from your app. See Transferring data in the background

--Rob

Saturday, February 1, 2014 5:21 AM
  • I am developing a mobile sales app (LOB). According to the sales personnel, sometimes they have urgent meetings and they don't want to reload and reload data from webservices half way whenever there is meeting interruption. So they just want to press a button and leave it there to finish the data loading. So My questions are

1) When downloading large data from webservice and there is a Ring Progress control running without ANY user interaction with the screen, will the system consider this an "interaction" and thus will not turn on Lock Screen?

I don't know if this is workable. 

Thanks

Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:45 PM
  • No, interaction comes from the user. An app can flag itself as running video to prevent the screensaver, but that doesn't sound like an appropriate solution for your scenario.

As I understand it, the problem you want to solve is the download stopping. Your users want to start the download and have it complete even if they walk away from the app. The right way to solve this is to use the BackgroundDownloader so the download will continue in the background. The unattended system will still lock so that unapproved people cannot use it.

Alternatively, if this is a kiosk system that shouldn't lock at all then that it should be set up that way by the administrator when the system is configured.

--Rob

Thursday, February 6, 2014 5:02 PM
  • I remember a WindowsPhone recorder app. It has a Timer running when recording starts, the system wont trigger LockScreen as long as the timer running with time showing on UI. So, is this workable for WinRT?

I need to import data from Dynamics NAV or AX thru WebService. Any sample for reference to use BackgroundDownloader or Transferring data in the background?

Thanks

Friday, February 7, 2014 3:11 AM
  • Please see the links in my previous reply for documentation and sample code on BackgroundDownloader.

Also see Downloading a file using Background Transfer and the Background Transfer Download  sample .

Friday, February 7, 2014 5:17 PM