Expression Web Bug: Uncontrolled Scrolling in Editor RRS feed

• Question

• I really want to like Expression Web but the HTML editor is a real bear to work with.

The biggest issue I have is that mouse selections in the editor tend to scroll uncontrollably when reaching the top of the editor window. As soon as I hit the top or bottom of the editor window the selection/window scrolls several screens. 

This is extremely unproductive as you lose your place in the document and then have to try again by going back to the scroll beginning. The only way I can reliably select any sizable text is using the arrow keys - slowly. Same behavior occurs if the arrow key repeat kicks in.

Seriously - HTML is text intensive and selections are very common, but this really makes the Expression editor a pain... Sadly this has been going on since Version 2 and not been addressed...

Please consider it for the future...

+++ Rick ---

Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:36 AM

All replies

• Yes it is a pain and should have been fixed way back. It's been bugged on Connect (only recently) and you can validate it and add your vote and/or comments.

https://connect.microsoft.com/Expression/feedback/details/703656/unexpected-scrolling

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Web
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:13 PM
  • There's an easy solution that's been around in most programs for ages--it's a standard method.

Click where you want to start highlighting, move to the end point (without holding the mouse button), press and hold the Shift key, and click there.

Piece of cake. Works just like in Word and lots of other programs.

The super speedy scroll is not specific to EW, and is more a problem caused by faster graphics systems. It would be nice to be able to adjust it, but I don't consider it a bug as such.

Comic Sans walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Get out! We don't serve your type."
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:30 PM
  • Yep. I dislike it, too, and recall complaining about it as far back as EW2. I don't know why EW's code view does this. Other text editors on my system (e.g. NoteTab Pro, even MS Notepad) do not exhibit this characteristic, so IMO, it is not a characterisitc of the graphics subsystem, or all  text editors would accelerate at the selection boundary in this fashion, and they don't.

I could be wrong, but my personal opinion is that this is easily fixable, but that MS simply hasn't prioritized it. I'm a big fan of the EW code view, working there pretty much exclusively. But, this issue is in fact a significant hit on productivity for hand coders, and should be assigned a higher priority for the next version.

Guess I'll check User Voices and Connect, and if there is nothing on it at UV, request it to try to get it fixed, then vote on the bug report...

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:26 PM
  • "Please consider it for the future..."

In case others' replies hasn't made it obvious: you are not talking to MS here, and we, other EW users, can't "consider it for the future".  MS would need to do that.  The way to talk to MS about a bug or feature is through MS's Connect site, or for feature requests for EW, the User Voice mentioned in the Announcements section.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:47 PM