What to watch for when upgrading to VWD 2010 Express? RRS feed

• Question

• User224181609 posted

I started building my website with WWD 2005 Express, and asp.net 2.0 or 3.5 (not sure which).

Along the way I installed VWD 2008 Express and later VWD 2010 Express which I am currently using.

I just opened my website locally with the latest version of VWD Express, and continued working on it, uploading any files I changed, just assuming everything would be backward compatible. I did somewhere change the target framework to 4,0

My question: Is there some process I should have gone through (or still should) when I switched to VWD 2010?

Sunday, May 5, 2013 7:33 AM

All replies

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

Each time you upgrade to a later version of a product you should check possible breaking changes and what is new that you could take advantage of. For the 2.0 or 3.5 (which is 2.0 with additional features) to 4.0 upgrade see :
    http://www.asp.net/whitepapers/aspnet4/breaking-changes
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/s57a598e(v=vs.100).aspx

If you do have a problem, please ask directly about the particular problem you have.

Sunday, July 6, 2014 9:42 AM
  • User224181609 posted

Thanks for taking the time to respond to this. 

Actually, since the post was made, I have upgraded to a new computer running Windows 7, and since all was new, installed VWD2012 Express.

That turned out to be a disappointment, and in hindsight, a mistake, as I subsequently discovered  so many features had been removed that were in the 2010  version. Features like the Database Diagram and Query Designers.

So now I have to use SSMS 2012 to do database things that used to be possible right within Visual Studio. Which means closing VWD to use SSMS on the database, and then back to VWD to keep working. A royal pain.   I even decided to go back to VWD 2010 but on trying that ran into problems because my database had already been upgraded. Rather than go thru the hassle of it all, I stuck with 2012 version.

But if I had read completely up on the subject before installing VWD 2012, I would had never installed it and stuck with 2010

There's no question here -- just grousing!

:=)

Sunday, July 6, 2014 10:15 AM
  • User753101303 posted

Using 2013 and it's still there. If I remember in 2012 you still have a "simplified" UI that may hide the options you are looking for. Would have to check.

Don't you have a "Tools", "SQL Server", "New query" option ?

Sunday, July 6, 2014 10:26 AM
  • User224181609 posted

Well it is certainly possible there is something flaky about my install, given the obtuse set of directions / options one runs into in trying to figure out exactly what do / choose when installing a Studio version!

When I open my site locally and look in the App_Data folder I see this:

If I right-click on the aspnetdb.mdf database and choose Open, it opens the data connection in the Database Explorer pane, and if I right-click on the Views folder (looking to create a new view) the only options I see are;

There just is no option to get to the View Designer. Even more, if I right-click on a table in the Database Explorer, looking to see the table design or the table data, all I have as options are copy, refresh, and properties:

I cant even right-click on the tables folder and find and option to Add New Table

It's pretty much as if the database design features are just missing. I don't even see the database diagram listed (which I know exists)

As far as your question, If I look in the top menu under Tools / Options I see this:

I don't see a Tools/SQL server / New Query type of possibility anywhere. Under SQL Server Tools in the above figure, it only shows a Data Compare option, and clicking that one leads to an error stating "An error occurred loading this property page". Whatever that means.

So -- I don't know -- it just seems like so much stuff is missing that I must have something wrong. But I have noted a couple other threads where folks have come to the conclusion that the Query Designer and Diagram Designer were not included in VWDExpress 2010.

It's just hard to believe ( but unfortunately plausible) that microsoft dumbed VWDExpress 2012 that far down from 2010 ----

Sunday, July 6, 2014 2:22 PM