Which ORM should I use ? RRS feed

• Question

• User-163012697 posted

I want to build an existing application in MVC. But my concern is that would using an Oracle with Entity Framework a good option?

Because I use to see lots of bugs in Entity Framework 6.0 to connect with Oracle DB.  And even our Server is Oracle 10g. 

Entity Framework is not a good option even for our environment because we're having crores (upto: 25 crores) of records in our database and entity framework takes more time compared to many other ORM like Dapper, NHibernate or even Raw SQL Queries.

Please clear my concepts and one more thing can we use Dapper for commercial purpose in free of cost or is there any charges?

Monday, February 29, 2016 7:11 AM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

The number of records in your database is irrelevant unless you plan on retrieving all of them in one go.  Your choice of data access technology depends on that you want to achieve. If you simply want fast access to data, use ADO.NET. If you want to save a lot of boiler-plate coding mapping data to objects choose an ORM. If your domain is mainly simple objects, use a mini-ORM like Dapper. Or maybe use Dapper for simple objects AND EF/nHibernate for more complex stuff. Base your decision on what's important to you. If you have concerns about performance, do your own testing. Don't rely on other people's test results that don't mimic your environment. 

Dapper is available under the Apache 20 licence, which means it is free to use for any purpose.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, February 29, 2016 10:51 AM