none
Difference between Windows Store App vs Desktop App? RRS feed

• Question

• I have Win8.1 Pro installed on my laptop.  I've created a Win32 app that runs on the desktop portion of my Win 8.1 Pro box.

When reading about the Windows Store, I see part of a MS description that says "... to get started today building Windows Store apps.  And if you build desktop apps, you can list then in the Windows Store too."

Does this mean I can sell my existing Win32 app if I have a Company account in the Windows Store?  I was going to try to port the app over to a "Windows Store App" (is this the same as a "Metro App"??).

Once again the nomenclature is confusing my poor brain.

TIA

Harry

Monday, July 1, 2013 5:54 PM

Answers

• The opportunity to put desktop apps in the Windows Store is extremely limited.  There are only a few partner companies that are allowed to do this; general developers are not.  Further, you can't really download desktop apps from the Store.  They are listed, without a price, but the listing is just a link telling you where to go if you want to buy the app.  It's like advertising.

Tim Roberts, VC++ MVP Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• Marked as answer by Mimosa Arts Monday, July 1, 2013 7:09 PM
    Monday, July 1, 2013 6:46 PM

All replies

• The opportunity to put desktop apps in the Windows Store is extremely limited.  There are only a few partner companies that are allowed to do this; general developers are not.  Further, you can't really download desktop apps from the Store.  They are listed, without a price, but the listing is just a link telling you where to go if you want to buy the app.  It's like advertising.

Tim Roberts, VC++ MVP Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• Marked as answer by Mimosa Arts Monday, July 1, 2013 7:09 PM
    Monday, July 1, 2013 6:46 PM
  • Thanks Tim,

The link I was looking at was  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj863494.aspx and here they justify the $99 company vs the $49 personal as

"Company accounts are a little more expensive, mostly because we take some additional steps to ensure that you are authorized to represent your company and set up the account. The main benefits of having a company account are the ability to access more Windows Store app capabilities, and the ability to list desktop apps in the Windows Store."

This sounds like it's more accessible than it really is then.  Tried to call Windows Store support and after 30 min of hopping the globe transfers I gave up.

Can't it be a little simpler for us simple folk?

H

Monday, July 1, 2013 7:08 PM