Simple question - If we have a 9 million line application that works on Windows XP-Windows 8 32/64 bit, do we have to do something different to make it wokr on RT?

General discussion

• Simple question - If we have a 9 million line application that works on Windows XP-Windows 8 32/64 bit, do we have to do something different to make it wokr on RT?

Do we need to recompile it? 

Can someone recommend a specific MSDN page that outlines this?

Cheers!

Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:04 PM

All replies

• You will need to rewrite it as a Windows Store app if you want to run on Windows RT.

For information on writing Windows Store apps start with Getting started in the docs linked at the top of the page. How difficult a rewrite this is will depend greatly on the specific app. The UI will almost certainly need to be rewritten. How much of the business logic needs a rewrite will vary greatly on how it is written and what it does.

--Rob

Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:27 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 9:26 PM
  • 9 Million applications will still work on Windows 8 Tablets, just not Windows RT Tablets.

More discussion of Windows 8 and Windows RT is at:
    http://technologyriver.blogspot.com/2012/10/windows-8-vs-windows-rt.html

Technically, it's still possible to recompile app for ARM processor, so that would run on Windows RT. However, recompiling is not enough, it also needs to be signed by Microsoft issued certificate. I don't know what are the guidelines, if any, of getting such certificate. In any case, it's not a trivial amount of work. Just recompiling a simple app to make it work ARM can take months of dev time.

Monday, October 29, 2012 7:08 AM
  • Simple question - If we have a 9 million line application that works on Windows XP-Windows 8 32/64 bit, do we have to do something different to make it wokr on RT?

I tried to rewrite a 100,000 line application for Windows metro in C++ and found it nearly impossible.

The filing system is different in metro and highly cut down.

My app relied on 10 modules to work and in metro you cant call up other programs.

In the end I had to merge some of the apps into one where I could and used that.

The end result wasn't very good but still saleable at a cheap price compared to my full version.

n.Wright

Monday, October 29, 2012 2:41 PM

Can someone recommend a specific MSDN page that outlines this?

Cheers!

Unless those 9MLOCs are numerical modeling code or some other sort of internal data processing (meaning you can truly "recompile" and it works), it's a hopeless/unprofitable task. You would be far better off creating a simple Metro viewer of whatever data your big app produces and stick with the Desktop for the creation program. For example, I have a far less complicated Win32 program than your's that I'm converting to Metro. It has taken over three months of effort and the Metro version has about 25% of the features of my Win32 program. Between the reduced price of the app compared to my Win32 program (the reduced price will still be many times higher than your typical "fart" apps, this is a serious scientific app), MSFT taking 20-30%, and the potential for my users to complain about the reduced feature set, I sometimes wonder why I'm going down this road. However, my competitors already own the iOS and Android mobile environment, so I have to do this to prevent them from encroaching on Windows (my main Win32 business). They can still produce a crap Metro app and undercut me on price because their current iOS/Android prices are 1/3 of what I intend to charge for my Metro app. It's almost a no-win scenario...

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:46 AM