Enterprise Architecture - Question/Feedback/Suggestions RRS feed

• Question

• User-800224740 posted

We work at a very large global enterprise.  We have built numerous .NET applications using framework 4.0 and 4.5.2. 

Our business team wants us to provide them a "platform" like application. One where they can create forms and collect data. One where they can "drag & drop" workflows for these custom forms they build, all from the UI. Thus alleviating the need to have the technology team build a new app every time they need a form to collect data. They want everything to be API based, so that we can possibly allow external or internal third parties to consume and leverage the application/platform we build. They are basically trying to evaluate build VS buy. Does it make sense to build up and advance our existing apps to provide this functionality or do we buy a product off the shelf.

If we do go down the build path, our technology stack of choice is going to be .NET CORE. This will allows us to leverage a lot of our existing code base and reuse it. We will most likely use Angular or MVC Hybrid as the frontend UI.

Question:

We know how to create a dynamic form build with pure .NET code, as we have done that before. Are there any open-source plugins or tools that we can use with our .NET Core code that would allow us to easily offer the form builder and dynamic workflow builder to the business team. Are there any small JS libraries that could make this capability simpler for us to build. Rather than us build the entire functionality from the ground up.

Any and all suggestions are most welcome! Smile

Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:36 AM

All replies

• User197322208 posted

Our business team wants us to provide them a "platform" like application. One where they can create forms and collect data

Excel.

ne where they can "drag & drop" workflows for these custom forms they build, all from the UI.

This is more complex to build. Custom Workflows with custom components will need someone with Scripting ( at least ) knowledge. I doubt business will learn scripting.

hey want everything to be API based, so that we can possibly allow external or internal third parties to consume and leverage the application/platform we build.

This seems legit.

Does it make sense to build up and advance our existing apps to provide this functionality or do we buy a product off the shelf.

If you find this product, let me know. I doubt it exists. But I am ready to be surprised.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 8:35 AM