none
Deploy to specific directory RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    I have developed Office 2010 Add-ins for Word, Excel and Outlook.
    All the shared logic sits in one vsto.dll.

When I deploy with ClickOnce every add-in is deployed into a specific directory and includes my business logic (vsto.dll) every time as well. When I modify now somthing in that vsto.dll I have to deploy all 3 add-ins what's a pain in the neck.

How to tell ClickOnce where to install my vsto.dll?

Thx in advance
    acki4711

• Edited by acki4711 Monday, August 14, 2017 10:12 AM
    Monday, August 14, 2017 10:06 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You can't change the location.

ClickOnce deployment is designed to have zero-impact on the host machine so ClickOnce apps are installed into user folders in order not to have any impact on the host machine and not to require admin rights.

On Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10 the location is SysDrive:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Apps\ folder and on XP machines I believe the folder is SysDrive:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\ .

ClickOnce Office solutions are installed into the ClickOnce application cache or the global assembly cache (GAC). The ClickOnce cache is a family of hidden directories that holds all of the solution's files, including the assemblies, configuration files, application and user settings, and data directories. ClickOnce Office solutions use the same cache as Windows Forms ClickOnce applications. Links to other Internet or network locations can be opened while working from the ClickOnce cache, and the cached solution can also function in an offline mode. For document-level customizations, the document is not installed into the ClickOnce cache, and can be located on a user's computer or a network file share. For more information about the ClickOnce cache, see ClickOnce Cache Overview.

Read more about that in the following articles:

Deploying Office Solutions

Deploying an Office Solution by Using ClickOnce

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Monday, August 14, 2017 1:01 PM