dealing with 420 request_throttled error, again RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

Well, it is disappointing that when 420 response says 'The provided request has been throttled. Try again after 40 seconds.', waiting for 40 seconds or more does not really help.

I actually implemented my client to wait the twice as much time as specified in response message but the next POST still fails.

So, MS folks, how do you want your clients deal with this exactly?

Could you give me some guideline how to deal with 420 message when user wants to put his/her files on SkyDrive?

Monday, February 27, 2012 6:38 AM

Answers

• Hello Dare,

My app lets user navigate the list of files on their mobile handset, select multiple files and upload to SkyDrive at once.

I do not think it's an exceptional user scenario for app dealing with cloud service.

We have confirmed there are some bugs in the error message. However this error should only be triggered if the user is uploading hundreds to thousands of files in a short time which should not be the case from a mobile device. 
    Friday, March 2, 2012 1:22 PM

All replies

• Hello.

Well, it is disappointing that when 420 response says 'The provided request has been throttled. Try again after 40 seconds.', waiting for 40 seconds or more does not really help.

I actually implemented my client to wait the twice as much time as specified in response message but the next POST still fails.

So, MS folks, how do you want your clients deal with this exactly?

Could you give me some guideline how to deal with 420 message when user wants to put his/her files on SkyDrive?

We are investigating to see if there are bugs in this error message and apologize for any inconvenience caused if this is the case. It would be helpful to understand in what end user scenarios you are hitting these limits since they shouldn't be hit for typical usage by an end user. 
    Monday, February 27, 2012 3:10 PM
  • Hello Dare,

My app lets user navigate the list of files on their mobile handset, select multiple files and upload to SkyDrive at once.

I do not think it's an exceptional user scenario for app dealing with cloud service.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:54 AM
  • Hello Dare,

We have confirmed there are some bugs in the error message. However this error should only be triggered if the user is uploading hundreds to thousands of files in a short time which should not be the case from a mobile device. 
    Friday, March 2, 2012 1:22 PM